The Rivers Edge

This chapter is dedicated to @LouisaWolf who requested it very kindly. <3

I got out of bed that morning feeling groggy and tired and above all irritable. To my annoyance, Gildor had come with me across the river and had come to ask me about where the others were.
"I'm working on it." I snapped at him. All the sentries had nothing to report and I ordered a new guard to come with with me to try and find them. I was about to get on Biscuit when I felt suddenly dizzy. I felt myself collapse and I lost vision of my surroundings. I could hear people yelling and before they all went quiet and I was standing on ground made of ash. But this ash was different. It was burning, and it was burning me. My feet and legs scorched and I screamed in agony. I tried lifting them up but they seemed glued to the ground. Then I over balanced and fell of my face. Again the pain seared my skin and I yelled out. I tried getting up but I was stuck.
"Sauron's Daughter." Someone whispered in my ear. I struggled to look around but I couldn't.
"Join me." Said the voice. The pain subsided and I went limp.
"I serve the men of this realm." I answered. The pain resumed and I felt the life being sucked out of me.
"Very Well." My sight faded away and I felt as if I was floating. Then I was falling, and I landed in soft white sheets of my bed in Rivendell. My sight returned and I sucked in air when my lungs were full I let out a cry that sounded like a wounded bird. A cool cloth was placed on my forehead and I focused my eyes on Gildor.
"I'm burnt." I muttered.
"Burning up." He replied.
"I'm not joining them." I said.
"Elinor, what are you talking about. Your sick."
"NO!" I screamed. "It was a message. They want me to join them. I was burning."
"It was just a dream. It wasn't real." He said softly. I wanted to scream at him and tell him that he was wrong but I felt drowsy and I wanted to sleep.
"Are the others back?" I asked as I said as I slipped into sleep.
"Yes." Was the last thing I heard before I began to dream of water falls and green grassy meadows.

"Hey, Elinor," I felt someone shake me awake. "You need to wake up." I opened my eyes to see Poldo staring over me.
"Your Back!" I said jumping out of bed and hugging him. "Where are the others?"
"Everyone is back, except..." He bit his lip."Elrohir"
"NO!" I gurgled, my heart plummeting.
"Yes. We were didn't get very far when the Witch King and a group of trolls stopped us.
"They demanded that he give himself over to save his men...."
"And he did." I finished.
"Yes." I sat stunned. Then silent tears slopped messily down my face. Poldo sat there awkwardly before I dried my eyes and left the room.
"The Witch King said something about a prophecy." He said suddenly as we were walking down the stairs as he had just remembered. "That the brothers of the captain of Valinor would write the history of the war."
"They certainly did," I said angrily. "They will be avenged. Nothing motivates people more than bloody revenge. Call a gathering. We need to make a counterattack."
"No." Said Poldo. "Not yet." We wait for Freda and Legolas to get back." Suddenly I remembered something.
"Did you leave a note in the cave?" I asked.
"What? No, we came in through the river."
"Someone left a note. "Look to the river at dawn"
"Wasn't us." Poldo said confused.
"It had to be Khamul. After he captured Elrohir. It's dawn now."

We walked to the river, fighting the urge to run. It could of meant any dawn but my gut told me that something was going to happen. The sun was rising steadily reflecting of the river in rays of gold. No sooner had we got there did Khamul rise out of the shadows on the other side of river. He was dragging Elrohir at his feet like a dog.
"Let him go." I yelled over the sound of my thudding heart.
"Ebony. You know that propechy needs to stop." Khamul said back.
"What prophecy." I said shaking. Khamul ignored this and looked at Elrohir who was struggling in his grasp. He drew his sword and pressed the tip on Elrohir's bare cheek. Crimson blood spilt on the ground and Khamul looked at me with a mocking smile.
I swept the water from the river aggressively at there feet trying to knock Khamul down.
"Ahhh. Your father warned me about your little problems. Don't aggravate me Ebony. I have your brothers life in my hands." At that he drew another gash in his other cheek. Elrohir grimaced but stayed quiet.
"Poldo." I muttered soflty trying not to move my lips. "Tell the guard on the left to prepare all available troops for a fight."
"Yes my lady." He said and moved subtly to the guard.
"Take me instead!" I yelled to Khamul. "Please." I added trying not to listen to the sound of the guard over to other soldier, spreading the word.
"No Ebony. You've had your chance your to join us." He snapped his fingers and the burns reappeared causing me to double over in pain. "Now your going to suffer in everyday possible." He began to cut along Elrohir's forehead. Poldo whispered in my ear.
"There ready."
"Prepare to fire." I whispered back.
"Don't pretend I don't know what your plan is, Ebony." He said suddenly.
"Fire!" I screamed frantically. "Charge!" I said after running at Khamul through the water.

Everything was in slow motion. The water churned around my raw legs and Elrohir yelled something inaudible before Khamul swang his sword and took off his head in one clean motion before dissaperaing out of sight.