Edoras

Enjoy a little blast from the past! I really enjoyed writing this chapter and I'm sure you will notice a reference to my other book Queen of the Rohirrim. It follows Eomwill's mother, Willow, and her relationship with Eomer. Please check it out if you're looking for something to read. As always, stay safe.

When I told Gildor what had happened he hugged me and said that Legolas was a stupid elf and nothing else. That was just what I needed to hear. I called another council of war the next day to discuss what we would do from here on. I had to invite Freda and Legolas but I gave them little say other than their story. They had ridden to Rohan and bought enough horses for half. Then later had come across some wild ones giving nearly all men a horse. We agreed we wouldn't stay long in Rivendell as we barely had enough room for all the horses let alone enough feed. Rivendell was a palace, not a military base. In the end, we had agreed to ride to Rohan and pay back the horses, then travel to Minas Tirith to meet the king. I didn't give Legolas and Freda long to recover after their journey and when we left two days after they had arrived I gave Freda Biscuit hoping that his annoying hunger pangs would irritate her. We set out at a trot. None of us had saddles but elves don't need them. Every now and again Freda would curse as she got her face knocked into Biscuit's mane. Poldo seemed to sense the tension and quickly worked out what had happened. He gave me sympathetic smiles when he could which I appreciated. Freda hadn't spoken to me since she got back but whenever she made eye contact with me she quickly averted it. The roads were quiet but with horses, it was much easier to pass through lands undetected until we were long gone. We stopped after the first day sore and tired. The camp was set up quickly and sentries were minimal and quick. I was about to go to bed when someone called my name. 
"Hello, Gildor," I said 
"Hi! I've barely seen you, I've been riding at the back and every time I went to come up to you a mare in front would stop us. She made the ugliest faces." I laughed. "We've made a few miles." He said
"Yes, we should get to Rohan in a few days."
"I'm looking forward to that. I've rarely left Rivendell."
"Really?" I asked.
"Adventure never really called to me as it does to you. As I said, I'm a humble healer."
"Oh," I said disappointed for reasons I didn't know why. "Well, come and ride at the front tomorrow," I said. 
"Thank you. I will." He said happily "Goodnight. And may your dreams be peaceful."
"You too," I replied. I went into my tent and sat down.
I didn't have any intimate feelings for Gildor, but I didn't for Legolas either until he made a move. I felt like I was fighting two fronts. One against Melkor and one more tactical. Trying to sort out who I wanted to be with. I didn't want to be with anyone. But, Gildor did and Legolas was with Freda so what was I supposed to do now. I scolded myself for even thinking about that when I was leading an army against a ruthless enemy. I vowed to myself I wouldn't think about it. At all.

We left at sunrise the next morning and traveled slowly, to begin with. It was clear Legolas had no desire to be around me and rode at the back with Freda. It took all my willpower not to look back at them so I focused on the horizon. The misty mountains were poking out of the clouds and I took comfort in seeing them. They were just as I remembered. Beautiful. Strong. And they reminded us that not all was lost. 

3 days later we entered the Rohirrim borders. We cantered to Edoras under a white flag and were let in. I looked around, Rohan had not changed much. The people maybe, but not in the style they lived. I dismounted as I saw a king walking out of the golden hall. He appeared middle age but his face looked worn and tired. 
"My Lord," I said bowing to him. "We have come from Valinor to aid you in this war."
"Yes." He smiled warmly. "Your friends bought us out of horses."
"We will pay," I confirmed. He nodded and held out his hand.
"Eomwill, Son of Eomer."
"I fought with your father in the past war and your grandfather. They were honorable men."
"Yes. My father mentioned you when my mother wasn't around." I swallowed uncomfortably remembering how jealous Eomer had been of Legolas. I cleared my throat and shook his hand.
"Elinor, Captain of the Valar, Daughter of Celebrian." 
"And Sauron," Eomwill added with a glint in his eye. "You are very much welcome here Elinor." He said walking with me to the Golden hall. As we entered I smiled remembering the last time I was here. The night I had left for Mordor, I had been training Eowyn. I looked at the spots where I had said goodbye to the Fellowship. Over it hung a tapestry of a woman stabbing a man in the eye. 
"My mother." Said Eomwill softly. "She was a healer from Gondor."
"She must have loved Eomer a lot to move on her own if she was only a healer."
"She was a widowed criminal," Eomwill said smirking like he was enjoying the story. "She tried to kill the late Lord Aragorn." My mouth fell open. "She was condemned to die but the queen chose to spare her. She was exiled here before she won his heart and became queen."
I was stunned that Eomer could have chosen her. He could have had anyone! Maybe I broke his judgment as well as his heart. I mused.
"Dear Willow." He muttered softly. Then he clapped his hands together. 
"Have your best comrade sleep in the guest rooms and have your men set up camp around here.
We shall discuss strategy over dinner. Roast pork!" He said happily. I didn't have the heart to tell him elves didn't eat meat unless they had to. It was how I had survived in Mordor but the thought of it still made me sick. Nevertheless, I was grateful for the warmth and hospitality he was showing me. When I collected my friends to sleep in the golden hall. Gildor came with me. Freda and Legolas did not.