Aldburg

"Do you resent me?" Freda asked me as soon as I was out of earshot. 
"Yes," I answered honestly.
"I'm sorry." She mumbled.
"Don't be. It's my own fault. After we fought on the ship I kept him chained up." I'm sure Freda would have laughed it wasn't for the seriousness in my tone. "Then. After Elladen died he seemed changed. I didn't think he would move on so quickly."
"Legolas is kind." Freda said.
"I know that," I said feeling like I had to prove to her that I was better for him. "He has been my best friend since the last time we spent in Rohan."
"We haven't been as close as you," Freda said slowly. "My sister, Tauriel,  Legolas always had eyes for her. Then, she was banished and Legolas met you. I didn't see him until he arrived in Valinor but he was too absorbed in you to pay me any attention. I know this is very selfish of me to say but I was glad when we ended up together."
"I'm glad your happy," I said to numb to cry. "Anyway this is war. You can't get too emotionally attached." I said in a final attempt to sway her. 
"If we die we'll die together." She said smoothly. "Besides you have Poldo or Gildor. Will you excuse me?" She said. I nodded as she walked off smoothly. Burning hate filled me. She was pretty, sure, rich brown hair, soft brown eyes, tall, above all a good fighter. At least I was better than her, but doubt followed even that. I thought about what she had said, "At least you have Poldo or Gildor" How rude! I watched her shrink off into the distance to join Legolas at the blacksmith. Suddenly a horn rang out and Edoras sprang to life, soldiers running to their posts. I ran over to Willem. 
"What's going on!" I asked.
"Scout's have reported an army of Night Terror's approaching from the east . They will be here by nightfall." They're coming from the shire.  I realized. 
"What are their numbers?"
"The scout's say that they cannot tell but are covering the lands for miles."
"Valar help us. What about the villagers?"
"It's too late to save the further-out ones. The others will be evacuated to here."
" They need to be warned!"
"We don't have time! Willem snapped.
"I'll go," I said.
"You can't save everyone!" He said exasperated.
"I need a fast horse." I persisted.
"Fine. Take the grey closet to the end stall." 
"Thankyou!" I yelled sprinting there.
"Elinor! Let me come with you." Someone yelled. I turned around. Freda was running towards me.
"NO. Stay behind." I said running into the stables and locating the grey stallion. 
"Please." I didn't answer and mounted the horse already trotting out of the stables. I cantered over to Poldo who was sharpening swords.
"If I don't get back, you lead the armies," I yelled.
"Elinor! Where are you going!" I turned away and cantered down through Edoras and out of the gates. The horse was fast and determined and I was grateful that Willem had leant it to me. I heard heaving hoof steps behind me. 
"I told you to stay." I yelled to Freda. 
"I know." She yelled back "Haven't I already disobeyed your orders though?" I didn't answer and just let the wind shield me from her presence. I was grateful to have another fighter with me if things went badly but I didn't understand why she had come. We galloped across the plains until we found a village's worth of people evacuating to Edoras. They were laden with goods but it slowed then down. 
"You need to hurry!" I yelled.
"King's orders!" Freda added. She turned to me. "Do you think we'll have time?"
"I'm praying to the Valar." I replied cantering off again. We rode for another half hour until we found the outlying village of Aldburg. They clearly hadn't even been warned as the worked in the fields. 
"Spread the word." I told Freda and we split up.
"You are under attack. You only have a few hours to get to Edoras. Take nothing but horses if you have them. The enemy will not take your wealth. Move Quickly! I yelled. Like ants the people began to run to there houses, horses or children. 
Freda met me in the towns square.
"I don't think we can get to Underharrow." She said. "We have little time." 
"I know." I replied gravely. "But at least will have saved these people here. The Dark Walkers will attack here first. There goal will be to get to Edoras, maybe they won't even attack there."
"Not if they don't want increase there numbers." Freda said gloomily. Flocks of people looked nervously at us. 
"Take the back. I lead." I told her. 
"Follow me!" I yelled. They inched towards me nervously. "IF YOU WANT TO LIVE, RUN!" I yelled desperately. Most of them were women, children, and the elderly. The men must have joined the army. They began to walk faster some of the younger women jogging to the front. I looked at the sky, we had a few hours but not enough. I looked at Freda at the back. She was looking around nervously. The best we could get was a faster walk. It would have to do. An hour passed. Another. We could only pray. I guessed it would take another two to get to Edoras. A young mother holding a baby came up to thank me. Don't thank me yet. I wanted to say but I held my tongue. We began to enter a valley and just as we went climbing up again Freda screamed. 
"ELINOR! THEY'RE COMING." I spun around to see a hundred or more orcs running down the hill at us. It was broad daylight but they showed no signs of weakness. People began panicking at ran up the hill only to be stopped by another group.  We had been ambushed. I drew my bow and circled protectively around the people shooting orcs as they ran at us. This is it. I thought miserably. Freda was shooting with incredible speed and for a split second, I believed we could make it. Then half of the orcs drew bows of their own while the others charged right at us. I reached another arrow but my quiver was empty. We were finished.