five

Beth and I were beckoned from our quarters before our guests arrived. We stand at the front door, right behind his lordship and his family as we watch the carriage pull up. Liam glances behind himself quickly to me, offering me a reassuring smile as The Viscount approaches the parked vehicle.

A well dressed man exits the carriage first, shaking hands with the Viscount. Beth and I stand at attention, ready to help with whatever might be necessary. He summons Beth over first, putting a hand carefully on her shoulder, "Show the Duke of Cheshire and his family to the dining hall." he tells her.

My eyes go back to the carriage as someone else exits. It takes everything in me not to audibly gasp when I see that wild hair again. I'm sure my face goes pale at the sight of him, however, I can't tear my eyes away. I feel frozen in place.

Suddenly his green eyes meet mine. Those fear inducing eyes. We're so far, and yet I can feel his breath against my ear again and my skin burns where he had touched it. Anyone but him.

His face looks mean. His jaw is set and his brows are harsh as he glares into my soul. Another set of eyes is on me, a softer, more worried set. But the cruel stare from the man currently fixing his overcoat on his shoulders is all that I see.

"Char. Go back down to the kitchen." Liam whispers to me, causing his mother to snap her head over. She shushes him quickly and turns back around to greet the two women exiting the carriage after the devil.

The Duke approaches us to greet The Viscountess and Liam, and I bow my head as I curtsey to him. Behind him, Lord Styles follows up the stairs to stand behind his father. Once the Duke has said his hellos, Lord Styles walks up. I refuse to curtsey to him. He notices, his eyes narrowing at me.

"Lady Payne, I do believe your servant could use a lesson in manners." he says harshly, emphasizing the word servant. I could tell Liam is seconds away from losing it on his man, but the Viscountess just laughs it off. It was not a joke.

His eyes turn to Liam, smirking in amusement, "Sir." he says shortly, before turning to stand with his father and the Viscount. My heart is racing and I'm barely able to focus and the Duchess of Cheshire and Lady Styles approach us, greeting us warmly. Such a contrast from their monster of a relative.

We all walk to the dining room once inside. While the Viscountess is wrapped up in a conversation with the Duchess, Liam falls behind to my side. "Charlotte, go to the kitchen." he orders again, staring ahead of him. His eyes are on Harry, burning a hole into the back of his head.

"I am working, Mr. Payne. I am a servant girl, this is what servant girls do." I reply plainly, staying focused on my job.

He scoffs at my statement, "Disobedient servant girl if you refuse to follow my orders." he mumbles. "Charlotte, this isn't up for discussion, go to your room."

I ignore him, walking ahead of him. The last thing I'm going to do is bow down in fear to Lord Styles. I am a strong young woman. I can handle a dinner with the Styleses.

"Charlotte!" The Viscount calls my attention, and I rush over quickly. "Yes my lord?"

"Make sure to serve the good wine tonight. Tell Mary to get it from the cellar, please." he asks, and I nod quickly. "Of course, my lord."

I make haste down to the kitchen, taking a second to breathe. This sick man cannot win. Not against me. With a new confidence, I tell Mary to fetch the Viscount a good bottle of wine and make my way back up the stairs.

When I enter the dining room again, everyone is seated and dinner is being served. I quickly help distribute the first course, until the last bowl is in my hands. The only one left to give food to is Lord Styles. I'd much rather dump the contents over his head. Instead, I place it in front of him.