twenty

Chaos. Madness. War. All acceptable descriptions of the scene before me.

I must admit, the mention of marriage was a shock to me too, however that is the ultimate goal is it not? The second that word left Harry's mouth, we were ripped apart.

The Viscountess forcefully took me to one side of the room, while the Duchess and Lady Styles retreated to the other. The men immediately became enraged, mainly Liam. He began to attack Harry with brute force, only Harry fought back. The Duke and Viscount begin a heated discussion, the Viscount demanding Harry never see me again. I stand frozen, watching the scene before me unfold.

So chaos. That is the word I use.

"You have stolen her virtue haven't you? For that is why she was so upset! That is why you intend on marrying her?" Liam barks, raising his fist for a punch.

Harry catches his fist, stopping my brother from bruising his fair skin. "No! Never! How dare you think such a thing about the woman you call your sister!" Harry spits through his teeth, pushing Liam back.

"That is the only explanation as to why you would want to marry a woman you have purposely and continuously hurt!"

The Viscount grabs his son by the back of the collar, forcing him back from the future Duke. "That is enough from you, boy. And lower your voice before you draw unwanted attention!" he mutters, causing a silence to fall over the room.

Liam's harsh glare stays focused on the curly haired boy in front of him and Harry holds his gaze with his steady green eyes. The Viscountess clutches on to me, and I can see from across the room the Duchess and Lady Styles are wide eyed at the situation before them.

After a moment, Harry fixes his jacket, standing up straight and facing the Viscount. "As I said, I plan to court Miss Pembroke. We have discussed my apology and I have expressed to her my desire to court her and she has forgiven me and accepted. While I know I do not deserve her forgiveness, I am grateful for it. As I am also grateful for my second chance."

"You said you want to marry her." Liam says, but the Viscount puts his hand up, silencing him. "Have you taken liberties with Miss Pembroke?" he asks in a fear inducing tone of voice.

Harry immediately shakes his head rapidly. "No, sir, absolutely not. I would never go as far." Liam scoffs at his answer, "You all but told me and her that you would very well go as far." He reminds him of the day in the drawing room.

"Boy if you do not shut up!" The Viscount bellows, and Liam glares down at the floor. He turns back to Harry. "Are you proposing marriage at this moment?"

Again, his head shakes. "No, sir. Only courting with intention of engagement. For if Miss Pembroke and I do not make a good match, I will not force her into a marriage with me."

My heart leaps at his statement. For some reason every word and glance ignites something within me. He has transformed before my very eyes in a matter of weeks.

The Duke steps up this time, staring down his son. "What has changed your mind, son?" he asks.

Harry looks to the ground, soundless as he ponders the answer to that question. The very same question I have been wondering the past week. What has changed his mind?

We wait on baited breath for his answer, wondering if he will take it all back now that he really thinks about it. He finally looks up, steadily looking his father in the eye. He looks confident. "I have deeply offended Miss Pembroke on multiple occasions. To the point where our families can no longer coexist in peace. What I have done to her is inexcusable and cowardly. I am a coward for the way I have acted. For I acted in such a manner because I thought her beautiful and could not find it in myself to admit it."