forty two

My heart has led me to the empty Styles estate. Well, Annie has brought me here technically, but something told me to come here. Perhaps I just want to feel close to him again, or maybe there will be some microscopic chance he will be here. Still, I dismount Annie and tie her to the post.

Walking across the lawn, I am reminded of when Harry brought me here last. When we confessed our love and spent the most amazing night with each other. Our last moments together as partners.

I have not prepared what I might say to him should he be here. I figured I'm already acting off impulse, perhaps I just wing it. Secretly I'm hoping that he will be here and we will fall right into each other's arms. However, I know that's not how it will go.

Pushing open the doors, my heart stops when I realize they are unlocked. He is here. I did not see his horse out front, however, he mentioned to me last time we were here how he usually puts her in the stables in the back when he comes to the estate alone.

Taking a deep breath, I walk through the doors, closing them behind me. I lean against them for a second, contemplating if I should really do this. My eyes close as I tell myself this will be okay, before finally beginning to travel further into the estate.

"Harry?" I call out after a second and I could hear my heartbeat in my ears.

It's quiet in the estate for a few more moments, but just as I'm about to open my mouth to call for him again, he appears. He steps out of a room, further down the hallway. He looks confused to see me, unsure if I am real or a figment of his imagination.

He looks ruggedly handsome. It seems as though he came right here after the ball. His jacket is off, most likely strewn somewhere in the room he was just in. His white linen top is untucked and hanging loose off his shoulders. His hair is a mess, as if he's been purposely tugging and running his fingers through it.

We stand there for who knows how long, bewildered at the sight of each other. He's the first to start moving toward me, slowly and unsure of himself. I stand in my spot, half expecting him to force me to leave.

"Charlotte..." he whispers once he's close enough, his hands reaching out slightly, but he stops himself.

Tears fill my eyes quickly, staring up into those green eyes. He looks at me, his brows furrowed. "Why are you here? You are with the duke." His voice sounds pained as he recalls seeing us at the ball.

"Harry, you know where my heart lies." I whisper to him, unable to talk any louder in his presence at the moment.

He shakes his head, squeezing his eyes shut, "No, Charlotte. I am not good for you. You should not be here, I do not want people thinking that I have compromised you." he whispers.

"Who told you that, Harry? Zayn? Because he is just jealous. I care not what others think of us. I love you Harry." The way his eyes squeeze shut harder at the mention of Zayn, confirming my suspicions. "I know you love me, Harry. Please say it." I whisper, carefully placing my hands against his biceps.

His head shakes more, his face contorted like he's in pain, "Charlotte, I cannot. You must go."

"There you go with that word again." I attempt a joke, looking up at his face. "Please look at me, Harry." My voice is barely audible, but slowly his eyes open.

Unable to control himself, his hands hold my cheeks carefully and he lets out a longing sigh. "Charlotte..." he mumbles, unable to stop himself from giving in. "You are courting the Duke." he reminds me.

I shake my head, "The Duke is nothing to me. You know this Harry."

"I have hurt you. I do not deserve another chance. You would be happy with the Duke in time." he attempts to sway my decision, but I stay firm. "I am in love with you, Harry. Only you."