fifteen

Promenading. Strolling around amongst everyone in society, essentially confirming a courtship is in the works. And Harry has demanded us participate.

As we left the party last night and said goodnight to the Duke and Duchess, Harry announced to our families that we would be promenading today. Liam and the Viscount were displeased, but silent. The Viscountess was cautiously optimistic along with Lady Styles and the Duke. And the Duchess was simply overjoyed that her son asked me to promenade.

I wanted to correct her and say he ordered me to promenade with him, but I held my tongue, letting the Duchess create such wild stories in her head of our so-called budding romance.

When we arrived home, Liam all but ordered me to stay home and refuse Lord Styles, however the Viscount and Viscountess were quick to shut him down, saying that if something were to go wrong with this courtship, it would no doubt fall on Harry's shoulders.

Harry is well known in the ton for being a womanizer, going to brothels to sleep with random women most nights. He flirts and seduces, so surely if something were to go wrong with our courtship, he should be to blame. We hope.

After another sleepless night, Sarah came to help me prepare for the promenade. My nerves are worse today than they had ever been before. At a ball, the whole point is to dance with eligible men and mingle. But promenading is time spent with Lord Styles alone. Yes, the Duchess and the Viscountess will accompany us, but they will stay together while I talk with Harry.

The carriage dropped us off at the agreed meeting place. The Viscountess and I stand to the side and she scans the faces for the Duchess and her son. If the Duchess had not been overly thrilled at the idea of her son courting, I would worry we were to be stood up.

"If you feel uncomfortable at any moment, dear, do speak up. We will leave at once."

I turn to face the Viscountess, nodding slightly. "I will."

She has been nervously pacing all morning. While she is relieved I am technically courting, we have no clue of Harry's intentions. We know that he has started this as a way for me to lose out on offers, and I retaliated pretty quickly, much to his surprise. But has my challenge made it worse for me? Will he expose my secret to the ton during our promenade?

The longer we stand and wait, the more and more nervous my stomach feels. How in the world am I going to get through this? If only Liam were here to quell my nerves, even if he were to stay a distance away. Just knowing his presence is amongst us would be enough for me.

"Your grace." The Viscountess says, pulling my attention toward the direction she is speaking. Sure enough, the Duchess approaches us, arm linked with Harry's. I curtsey before her, standing up straight as the woman greets the Viscountess. She turns to me next with a beaming smile.

"Dear Charlotte, you look absolutely exquisite. My son sure is a lucky man getting to have you perched on his arm this fine afternoon. The weather is marvelous for February. It is as if the heavens knew you two would be promenading." she grins, taking my hand and squeezing it gently.

I nod, still not looking at the man who is staring into my soul. "Why thank you, your grace." I smile.

As quickly as the woman greets me, she looks past me, focusing her attention to the Viscountess as they begin their walk and leaving Harry and me alone.

My hands stay folded in front of me as we both stare at the ground in front of us. Once he gets annoyed with the uncomfortable silence, he speaks up.

"Miss Pembroke. Shall we walk?" His voice is gruff and he holds his arm out, avoiding looking at me. With a nod I take hold of his arm and we begin to walk behind the two motherly figures.