thirty four

His kisses are my weakness. The second our lips touch, I am his, completely. I've never experienced a feeling like this before. It is a different kind of bliss. When he kisses me, I feel completely and utterly adored.

Surprisingly, Gemma was very much on board for keeping our secret. She scolded Harry and I on the way inside, telling us we are being reckless for kissing and sneaking away. However, the entire time she had a smile on her face. She's a romantic at the end of the day, so of course she was thrilled to see us kiss.

The Duke of Manchester watched us the entire night, making sure to sustain eye contact whenever he could. He obviously does not understand how serious Harry is about courting me. When we were leaving he made sure to come and say goodnight, kissing my hand. I could tell it made Harry upset, but he tried not to let it show. I'm proud of him for being the bigger person.

Harry came to visit the next day. He brought me back a box of candies from a shop he loves in Cheshire, saying how he could not wait to show me the shop in person. Every gift he gives me is so thoughtful and accompanied by the most beautiful words.

I get out of bed, heart pounding. Quietly, I walk over to the wardrobe, grabbing my cloak and slipping on my boots. This is a bad idea. The worst. But also the most thrilling thing I'll probably ever do.

Carefully I walk out of my room, shutting the door slowly so it does not creak or wake anyone up. Once I'm out of the room, I quickly and silently make my way through the hall and down the stairs. Only, I continue to the servants' quarters.

While Harry was visiting he slipped me a letter, telling me to read it as soon as he leaves. He wants to go for a ride tonight, alone. He said he would be waiting for me a little ways away from the house, but if I do not show he would understand. He knows it is not appropriate for him to be asking this of me.

I exit out the back door, the servant's entrance since it leads right to the stables. Liam and I always used to take this way when we would go out on our rides. My heart continues to pound, hoping he does not come down and see me sneaking off.

The stables are small compared to the ones at the country estate in Staffordshire. My horse for the night is Annie, a beautiful brown horse. I ride Annie a lot when given the chance, so she knows me and most likely will not cause a commotion upon seeing me. I saddle her up quickly, knowing I cannot waste any time.

Once she's saddled I mount her and encourage her to start riding. There is no going back now.

I ride for a short while before I come across another person on a horse. Suddenly my heart begins to race again. This will be the first time Harry sees me as I am. Plain. In my nightgown. My hair is not done up in a fancy dress and I do not have any makeup on. I am just Charlotte, and I hope it is enough for him.

Annie comes to a stop as I command once we approach the other person. "Harry?" I whisper, hoping that I am not ruining my reputation with just one word.

The person looks back to me and smiles. I return the smile, falling for those green eyes all over again. "You've come." He says, sounding shocked that I have even considered coming.

"Of course." I smile, holding his gaze. His smile is sustained as he takes in my appearance, "You look... stunning." he compliments, causing me to blush even more. "Thank you." I look down at my hands, my heart feeling warm.

We stay there in silence for a second, soaking in the fact that I have come to be alone with him. That I am risking everything for time with him.

The moment passes quickly though, and we are soon off, racing each other. We laugh and yell at each other as we fight to be the fastest one. I do notice he slows down a bit as we approach an estate, letting me come out as the winner. He feigns a groan as we come to a stop, shaking his head.