thirty two

Harry comes home tomorrow. I have been not so patiently waiting in the drawing room all day, hoping that he will barge through the doors and surprise me with an early arrival home. I have barely been able to pay attention to the needlework The Viscountess is so desperately trying to teach me.

I find the work boring anyway. Who cares if I could do delicate embroideries into fabrics? It is not like I am going to become a seamstress anytime soon. I would much rather be up in my room planning what outfit I will wear at the ball. Perhaps another white dress, since he told me of his affinity for it. Truthfully, I may just need to wear something purple if he claims that calms him down, he shall need it for when the Duke of Manchester inevitably swoops in.

All I know is I will be wearing the necklace he bought for me. And I will tell him I love him. Perhaps we will be able to steal away to share another kiss. I would like that very much.

As I suspected, not seeing him all week has been dreadful. No letters, no green eyes. I have seen Gemma in town, she was excited about that. However, it was a brief moment as she had an appointment at the modiste for her wedding gown.

"Charlotte, look at your work, please. You are going to have to take out all those stitches!" She scolds gently, and I look down at my hand. It has just been going absentmindedly and I have already messed up the horrible job I've been doing.

I sigh, putting the work down, "I am just not good at this stuff. And why should I be? I have so many other skills in life, a silly little flower is nothing." I huff, frustrated with the craft.

"Because dear, you are to be a duchess and duchesses do not cook and clean and do laundry. And when you have children, do you not want to be able to embroider their names into their little blankets and clothes?" she goes on, putting her own work down.

"Future duchess, and I am not worried about those things. I am happy with my life the way it is, needlework not involved." I smile, looking over at her. She narrows her focus on me, of course in a joking manner. "Fine, we can take a break from the needlework. You are far too distracted anyway."

She sits back on the sofa, looking at me, "So, Lord Styles went back to Cheshire... Perhaps he shall bring back with him a very special ring from the family's collection." she suggests, fanning herself.

I am unable to stop the giant grin from fighting it's way out, having had the same thought. "I am not letting myself get too excited at the prospects of a proposal, however it does seem like odd timing for him to leave on business." I admit, biting my bottom lip harshly.

She nods, "Oh why of course! It is the end of March, there are only a few weeks left in the season. He has to propose soon! And you two must get a special license."

My stomach flips at her words, all of a sudden hyper aware of the fact that we have kissed. "Why do we need a special license?" I ask, trying not to sound suspicious.

She reaches over, grabbing my hand, "Because dear! You two are a love match if I have ever seen one! All that passion has been there from the start! You must be married as soon as possible. I shall have the modiste begin your dress at once." she notes, smiling.

A laugh escapes me, "Already? I do not even have a proposal!"

"Oh hush, girl. You will be engaged to Lord Styles by the end of the week, I am sure of it. He has already said he likes you in a white dress." she smiles, squeezing my hand.

As we laugh and go on about what my wedding gown may look like, Jack comes through the door, "There is a visitor Ma'am. For Miss Pembroke."

My heartbeat quickens as he says that, knowing that has to be Harry. He has arrived early for me and has come to surprise me, he just told Jack to announce it to throw us off. I stand quickly, fidgeting with my dress and hair as the Viscountess tells him to let them in.