six

With a tray stocked with afternoon tea, I carefully make my way up to the Viscountess' quarters. My heart pounds and my mind ponders what she will say to me. What words will my mother impart from beyond the grave?

This morning was quiet, the most commotion coming from Liam and Beth as we filled her in on the gaps she's missed that left her confused last night. Obviously our story with Lord Harry has left a sour taste in her mouth. Not that it probably takes much for him to turn people off from him.

His disgusting attitude alone is reason enough. Add in his arrogance and short temper, it doesn't surprise me that a handsome man like him is still on the market. Not that he's probably looking for a wife considering he thinks so lowly of women. Pig.

I had never been treated with such disrespect before in my life. Yes, some drunk men would try and sneak me away during events, but once Liam showed up they were immediately apologetic. Maybe it's because Harry thinks he's more important than Liam. But when will these men learn that titles mean nothing once we're all dead. What will matter is if we were good people or not.

Balancing the tray in one hand carefully, I knock on the door to the Viscountess' quarters. She and her husband have separate quarters, however I know they do sleep in the same bed.

"Come in!" she calls from the other side of the door and with my freehand I turn the knob and push it open. Once it's open far enough, I enter the room, both hands on the tray again. Her lady in waiting, Abigail, rushes forward, taking the tray from my hands. With my hands free now, I shut the door behind me.

I've been to the Viscountess' quarters only a handful of times in my life. It is ornate, gorgeous, and any other glorious word I could think of. Fitting for such an elegant woman.

She smiles when she sees me, urging me forward with her hands. "Come, sit. How has your morning been, dear?" she asks. I take a seat on the vanity chair in front of her as she sits down at the edge of her bed. She has an excited gleam in her eyes.

"My morning has been alright. Busy cleaning up after last night's event and preparing for dinner. And yours, my lady?" I ask, folding my hands into my lap. I feel so unworthy sitting amongst so many expensive perfumes and jewels.

"My morning has been very relaxing, but I've been eager to talk to you today." she beams, clasping her hands together in front of her.

I nod my head once, "Right, you mentioned something about my mother?"

Her eyes soften at the mention of my mother. "What a lovely woman. You remind me very much of her. Determined, hardworking, smart. I could just go on and on." she sighs, reaching over to take my hand. I think she needs the comfort more than I do.

"Before she passed, we would always watch you and little Liam run around the gardens together without a care in the world. We would always imagine your futures. Your mother had such big dreams for your future Charlotte. She would always tell me, 'My little Lottie is going to do extraordinary things one day. She's got the whole world right in her pocket.'"

My chest tightens again, hearing the nickname my mother used to call me. Nobody calls me Lottie anymore, I won't allow it. That name is reserved for my mother and her only.

"I miss her dearly." I admit, glancing down at our hands. It's hard to miss someone you barely remember, but my soul misses her the most. It was just her and I, and then I had nobody.

The Viscountess nods, "I do too, love. It pains me to see you growing up without her here to watch. But you have become a fine young woman. Virtuous, honest, beautiful. Your mother was correct, you have the whole world right in your pocket." she smiles, her eyes glossy as she fights back tears.