nineteen

It has been a week since I sent the letter and I have yet to see or hear from Harry. A few days after the night at the opera, there was a ball we attended and none of the Styles were in attendance. I'm almost nervous that Harry has changed his mind about courting me.

My lips have been sealed about the letters that were exchanged between us. The Viscount and his wife have no clue that I agreed to court Harry. Liam doesn't either, which has been the hardest part. I hate keeping secrets from my brother, but he would be so upset if he were to know. I know he will be upset if Harry does approach me at any point, but at least he won't know I sent him a letter.

Tonight is a gala and I hope more than anything I see Harry tonight. Even if we just have a single moment to figure out whatever is about to happen, that's all I need. Just one little moment.

Sarah has been doing my hair for a while now, no doubt working on some elaborate updo. I may have requested to have a nicer appearance for tonight. I am even bringing out a brand new gown that the Viscountess had made for me. All I hope is that the man I am dressing up for is in attendance.

There is a knock on the door, and I glance over. "Who's there?" I ask.

"Jack. You have mail." he speaks from behind the door. My head turns toward the door quickly and I get up, "Sarah, you can have a break." I say, rushing up to the door.

When I open it, Jack is there, holding out a letter with my name, written in familiar handwriting. He smiles kindly at me, knowing who it is from. Sarah leaves out the door as I thank Jack for delivering this letter, and I close the door behind me.

As fast as possible I am ripping open the seal, unfolding the parchment. It is a shorter letter this time. I sit against the side of the bed, starting to read.

Charlotte,

Though I am undeserving of your forgiveness, I thank you. I swear I will try my very hardest to be a good man. For you deserve a good man.

There is to be a ball tonight, I will be in attendance with my family. It is there where I will tell them, as well as the Viscount Staffordshire and his family. I will assure them that I will treat you with respect and properly court you. This shall include promenades, events, and anything else you deem imperative.

I would very much like to keep writing to you, and would like if you kept writing to me. It would give us a chance to learn more about each other and open new lines of conversation. I shall start.

Growing up in Cheshire, I was very alone. Gemma, my sister, was always off with her attendants while I was left alone with tutors and nannies. Gemma is older than me, and almost engaged to be married. Mother and father made an arrangement for her with some Duke. They get along and he is a kind man, so I guess that's okay.

I know it is not really about me, and more about my sister, but that's all I could think of. Once again, I am very sorry for the way I've spoken to you. I will not do that again.

Yours,
Lord Harry Styles of Cheshire

I smile a bit at the last few sentences, sensing that there is effort being put into this. I'll take whatever I can get with him. It was also nice getting confirmation that he will be there tonight. Hopefully things don't get too out of hand when he comes to the Viscount.

Rushing over to the desk, the letter finds a home next to his first. I close the drawer, just in time too since Sarah comes back in. "Everything alright, Charlotte?" she asks.

Turning around, my fingers press into the face of the drawer, nodding. "Yes. Just Miss Haddington. She wants me to tell Liam she is excited to dance with him tonight." I smile.