twenty six

March 1809, Three Weeks Later

Spring is probably the most beautiful of the seasons. The snow has melted and the flowers bloomed. It is perfect.

Harry makes the spring even better. We engage in more walks, attend more balls. I have not had such fun in all my years. Even Gemma and I engage in walks around to town, shopping for little ribbons and accessories we think would suit each other.

Gemma has taken note of my sudden affinity for the color blue, as well as her brother's newfound love of green. Though she teases, I know it is all in good fun. She has proven to be the best chaperone we can be allowed.

She doesn't stand too close, but reminds us subtly that she is there and watching. She allows us time to converse and get to know each other, all without getting in the way. When the Viscountess or Duchess chose to join us as chaperones, they are far too involved, wanting to know every single word exchanged and be part of the conversation. Those days, we try to get through it as fast as possible.

Our letters have not ceased. In fact, they have become more frequent and much more romantic. While we still joke that they are not love letters, I believe we are just trying to live in denial. At least Harry is.

He flirts openly, saying the most charming things that make me melt on the spot. He must know what he does to me when he speaks like that, for it is why he enjoys doing it. He always teases me for my red cheeks and flustered appearance.

Liam has chaperoned us once and it was dreadful. He refused to let Harry get anywhere near me and almost had his head when he attempted to steady me after I tripped. It should be noted that Liam made no effort to help me. He just stood there, scolding Harry for being a gentleman.

We try to purposely plan promenades or tea on days and times we know Liam will be out with Penelope or doing something with the other men. This way he does not interfere.

The rumors of an impending engagement are becoming more and more frequent with each passing day. I must admit, it has been a rather prolonged courtship. Especially since the rest of society views our courtship beginning in December. To them, we have been courting nearly the entire London season. Surely there should have been an engagement by now.

Viewing the courtship in it's real timeline of a little over a month, it is more reasonable that he has not proposed. Especially considering the circumstances in which we began courting. Surely we have plenty of time before an engagement is appropriate. But if he does propose, I wouldn't mind it happening sooner rather than later.

God, now I'm thinking about marrying the man. What has become of me?

I glance over at him as he sits next to me. To celebrate the arrival of spring, the ton put on a garden party. A picnic of sorts, everyone is just sitting back and enjoying the wonderful weather. I have chosen to sit with the Duke's family, with the permission of the Viscount of course. I'd have heaps more fun with Gemma and Harry than I would with Liam. That's a given at this point.

Harry told Gemma of my talent at making flower crowns, a tall tale spun by him considering he has never seen me make one before, only heard of the skill in a letter. He helped me collect flowers, noting how he was making sure to pick the prettiest ones for me. I assured him I was doing the same for him.

He looks concentrated as he attempts to weave the stems together. His brows furrow, his vision focused on the flowers between his giant fingers. He'll clench his jaw when he makes a mistake or feels as though he has. Every so often I'll hear him mutter some profanity under his breath before he asks me for help. Gemma has gotten the hang of the weaving in record time, however I had no doubts she would succeed.