thirty five

Harry

Putting my quill down, I glance over toward my desk drawer. My hand reaches over and I open it, smiling as I begin to pull out all the letters Charlotte has sent me.

My beautiful girl. She loves me. I never thought someone would love me, especially not someone like Charlotte. She is far too good for me. She points out my shortcomings and encourages me to be a better person. She has helped me become the best version possible of myself.

It made me a bit nervous last night when she wanted me to take her. The last thing I want to do after making all this progress is revert back to the way I was in the beginning of February. I am no longer that man, even if it has been only a handful of weeks. She deserves better than my taking advantage of her. She does not know what she has asked of me and I do not want to continue being a salacious man.

My hand reaches further into the drawer, picking up the small piece of metal jewelry. I hold it between my fingers, examining it carefully. It is a gold band, simple, but beautiful, with a setting of small diamonds. Dainty, just as Charlotte likes. The ring has been in my family for generations, and it shall continue to adorn the fingers of Styles women. I will make sure of it.

First I must propose. Then on our wedding day I will give her this ring, as a symbol of my unconditional love and devotion. The thought brings a smile to my face as I know she will love it, and she will look beautiful on our wedding day.

Lady Charlotte Styles, future Duchess of Cheshire.

The biggest smile crosses my lips as I gaze down at the beautiful ring. I shall propose tomorrow. Perhaps tonight I shall look for Liam and ask his help in getting Charlotte somewhat alone. Unfortunately Gemma would be busy and it is not like I could just have Charlotte come to the estate on her own. I will have to go to her.

I would like to obtain a special license as well, to marry her sooner. Firstly, because we have kissed and if people were to find out she would be looked down on. Secondly, because I just want to marry her already.

I've been enamored with her since the day I saw her face. Finding out she was a servant at the time was a bit embarrassing and the way I treated her because of my embarrassment is something I will be ashamed of my entire life. She did not deserve that in the slightest. Knowing I have caused her to cry is devastating.

Hopefully by the end of the season, we will be living in the estate we went to yesterday. It is to be mine upon my marriage, and seeing her walk those halls just felt right. She belongs in that house, she needs to be my wife.

I shall get her a horse when we are married. So we can go on rides whenever we want. Whatever she may desire is hers the instant she tells me. I will do anything in my power to make her happy. And when we have children, I will move the heavens and earth to make my family happy. I will be deserving of their love.

The Duke of Manchester can kiss my fucking ass. He is a fool for going after a woman that is already taken. Even more of a fool for embarrassing her and deeming her a liar. Knowing all that he has done makes my blood boil. But for Charlotte's sake, I shall let it go. For she loves me, even when I am jealous and cruel. I do not deserve her.

I'm sure Zayn believes that since his dear father has passed and he is now the Duke, he can take advantage of Charlotte's kindness. Little does he know the woman he so desperately is trying to impress has confessed her true devotions. There is no doubt in my mind she will say yes to me tomorrow.

Tomorrow our lives together start and I could not be more excited.

A knock on my office door pulls my attention away from the ring. I quickly put it back in the drawer, along with the letters, "Come in." I call over to whoever is there.