twenty three

February 12, 1809
Charlotte,

It deeply troubles me that you must endure such hardships at the Payne's residence. I can imagine how terribly lonely it must feel to have everyone against you, especially the man you once called your dear brother. As you said, this was brought upon you against your wishes, therefore they should not be so irate. Unfortunately, my parents are not the happiest with me as well.

I am also entirely sorry to hear you lost your mother at only six years of age. Nobody should have to endure such sorrow that early in life. Especially someone with a beautiful heart such as yourself.

If it brings you a small laugh, I shall tell you how my sister has been bothering me with tales of our letters. Calling them secret love letters and us star crossed lovers. That one must read Romeo and Juliet too many times, for she is offering to cover for us should we choose to elope. What goes on in that silly brain, I know not!

I have spent some more time looking at that painting in the drawing room. You were right, I do look awfully upset. Perhaps the next portrait that is done of me, I shall attempt a smile. My smile is not handsome though, it is quite foolish, which is why I do not smile.

At the ball in two days time, I hope to share a few dances with you. You are a lovely dancer and it is quite funny seeing the men in the room watch on, upset that they do not get to share a dance with the most beautiful girl in the room.

Yours,
Lord Harry Styles of Chesire

February 14, 1809
Harry,

You do flatter me by deeming me the most beautiful girl in the room. Are you quite sure we are not writing love letters? Perhaps your sister should be on alert as I could feel our elopement is drawing near!

As for your smile, I do hope I get to see it. Now that I know you have a foolish looking smile, I will need to draw it out of you to see if I would agree. However, I am quite confident your smile is just as radiant as the sun.

The Payne residence has proven to be the worst place to reside at the moment. Liam refuses to look or speak to me, as does the Viscount. The Viscountess attempts but I can tell even she has lost hope. I do not understand them. Perhaps one day they will see their foolishness and give up this ridiculous attitude. At least you have your sister to keep you company, for I have nobody.

I have a few questions for you, ones I expect answers for in your next correspondence.

What is your favorite color? What is your favorite childhood memory? How are you so good at dancing?

Yours,
Miss Charlotte Pembroke

February 15, 1809
Charlotte,

We are most certainly not writing love letters, Miss Pembroke. However, I must say, Dancing with you at the ball was the highlight of my day. You looked absolutely divine, steps above the other women.

You did in fact draw a smile from my lips. Your laugh tells me everything I need to know and confirms that I will never smile again.

Liam once again pulled me to the side during the ball and asked my intentions in courting you. He is getting quite irritating the more time passes. But I shall bite my tongue and do my best ignoring the man. Perhaps one day soon he shall speak to you, as it does seem he truly cares for you. I would probably be the same if Gemma was in a similar situation.