seven

The trip to the modiste was dreadful. I was poked with pins and suffocated into the tightest corsets. Cutting my hand with a knife while chopping vegetables would have been less painful. Still, I stood there, repeating in my head that I'm just fulfilling my late mother's requests.

The Viscountess purchased me five gowns to get started and planned many more fittings for the upcoming weeks. We also bought proper nightgowns and dresses to wear when I'm not being showed off to society. We made a stop to buy ribbons and jewels and other little bobbins for my hair. It all just seems so frivolous and unnecessary.

Her ladyship has given me a gown to wear from her youth, so that I'm not wandering around the town looking like the help. Heaven forbid! Beth has accompanied us, my one saving grace today. Then again, she's done nothing but giggle at me as I tried on gown after gown. I'm sure she and Liam are going to have the best time poking fun at me for my newfound status.

I've kept my mouth shut as The Viscountess has introduced me as her dear younger cousin, ready to take her place in society after living in the countryside. Nobody has recognized me, however I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure the Duchess and Lady Styles will see us and expose our lies. However if I were to never see a Styles again, it would be too soon.

We walk together through the town and I can't help but feel awkward about walking next to the Viscountess instead of behind her. Usually Beth and I make small talk as we accompany her ladyship and whoever she's shopping with. I peek behind my shoulder, giving Beth a small smile. She smiles back, eager for us to get back to the house so we could meet with Liam and talk about the morning.

"Charlotte. Look at this necklace, it would look absolutely exquisite on you." The Viscountess calls my attention, holding a necklace up to my figure.

"My lady, you do not need to buy so many expensive things." I remind her, but she just brushes me off.

"Nonsense girl, you will be the center of attention with this gracing your neck." She smiles, turning to the vendor to package up the fine piece of jewelry. The last thing I want is to be the center of attention at one of these balls.

We get home in the late afternoon, Beth and Abigail carrying all of our packages behind us. I felt the urge to offer to carry my own belongings, however I kept my mouth shut, knowing cousins of Viscountesses do not carry their own packages.

Before we go our separate ways until dinner, I carefully approach the Viscountess. "My lady, may I please ask you something?" My lip is taken harshly between my teeth as I await her response.

"What is it, dear?" she asks, a warm smile on her face.

"Well, I would like to start by saying how appreciative I am of how you've taken me under your wing and bought me all of these marvelous things." I preface, not wanting to seem rude. When she smiles, I continue, "However, would it be alright if I still occasionally helped downstairs? At least for a little while longer? I just feel as though I owe it to them to help them adjust to my absence, and they are also a family to me. It feels wrong just leaving them."

When Liam and I went down to bring up my belongings to my new room, everyone was quite shocked. Even Mary was very sad to see me go. It pained me to cause hurt in such wonderful people, even if it is due to circumstances out of my control. I almost wish I could take them all into my new room with me. Surely they'd all fit.

The Viscountess smiles warmly, reaching over to tuck my unruly hair back out of my face. Even though it's been done up, strands keep falling out. "Darling, I've never minded when Liam went down to visit you. What you have just said is true, they are your family and if you wish to see them, there is no stopping you. Just make sure to pay mind to your hands. I'd prefer you not have rough, calloused hands."