nine

I'm regretting that midnight ride with Liam more and more with each aggressive stroke of the brush through my wild hair. Who knew hair could get tangled so quickly? Sarah wasn't too happy with me considering I gave her extra work to do to make me up before the ball.

As I sit patiently at the vanity, silently cursing myself as she brushes out every knot, I run the things I need to remember through my head. The steps to all the dances I've learned, the names, the rules. Repeating it will help the most.

"Do you know what dress you are wearing tonight Charlotte?" Sarah asks, finally setting the brush down. My eyes close slightly in relief, but open again quickly. "I think the Viscountess suggested the pale blue one with the silver embellishments. I believe she also wants me to wear gloves as well."

Sarah nods and quickly hurries away to fetch the dress in question. While I wait for her to return, dreading the moment I'll have to be tied up in that wretched corset again, there is a knock on the door.

"Who's there?" I ask, not wanting Liam to walk in while I'm indecent.

"Just me, dear." The Viscountess chimes, already sounding excited for tonight. I allow her to enter, glancing over at the door as she does. "I was just hoping to see how things were coming along, to make sure everything looks perfect."

She should find a new debutante if her standard is perfect.

"Sarah is just getting the blue dress you suggested." I inform her, hoping I don't look as nervous as I feel. "We hadn't gotten to the hair and jewels yet." I choose to leave out the information that I tangled my hair up due to a late night horse ride.

The Viscountess beams, obviously thrilled that she finally gets a daughter to pamper and prepare for a ball.

Just breathe Charlotte, you are doing this for your mother.

"I've heard rumors that there are going to be some high ranking members of society at this event tonight. And with your beauty in their presence there is no doubt in my mind that you will be the talk of the ton." she smiles, standing behind me. She runs her hands lightly through my hair.

"You look so much like your mother. Striking eyes, beautifully untamed hair. Goodness, she would be so proud of the woman that you've become." She places a hand on my shoulder, squeezing gently. My hand quickly covers hers, nodding slightly, "Thank you, my lady."

Sarah returns with the dress in hand as well as that stupid corset and a few other accessories. "Lady Payne." she greets, bowing her head slightly. She lays the dress against the bed before coming back over to get started doing up my hair. "Anything specific, my lady?" she asks, running her fingers through the ends of my hair.

"Maybe some sort of braid. And leave some pieces out to frame her face. You've seen her dress so you could take liberties with the bobbins you add." She lists off as she walks back toward the door, "I'll be back to check on you soon, dear." she lets me know before exiting the room.

I sit patiently as Sarah collects my hair into a large bundle at the top of my head. There are many little braids and such in the chaotic mess that is my hair. But it's an elegant chaos. It reminds me of a hairstyle I've seen on the Viscountess plenty of times.

She decorates my hair with jewels and when I finally get a good look in the mirror, I'm stunned. This cannot possibly be me. I look... presentable.

"Come on, time to get dressed." She reminds me. With a sharp sigh, I get up, stripping down out of the dress I am currently in and into my undergarments. The corset is placed around my body and I hold onto the edge of the vanity tight. My eyes squeeze shut as Sarah pulls the cords as tight as they possibly could go and it feels as though my breasts are against my throat and all my insides are squished.