twenty seven

The Viscountess picked out my dress for the evening. A white gown embellished beautifully with silver beading. It is one of the more expensive dresses in my wardrobe, but she insisted I wear it since this is the Duke's party and there is a chance he will become family. She wants me to look the part of high class nobility.

Still, I chose to accessorize with hints of blue in my jewelry, wanting Harry to smile. Pulling the white satin gloves up my arms, I look at myself in the mirror. My hair is done up amazingly, and I just feel beautiful. Especially knowing Harry will think I look beautiful.

Once I am ready, I head down the stairs, seeing Liam and the Viscount waiting in the foyer. I nod slightly toward them, keeping my eyes down at the fan in my hand. It was a gift from Harry. He has brought me so many gifts when he comes to the house. I receive flowers every few days, a new gift once a week. I tell him every time not to buy me so many things, but he refuses to listen and claims I deserve everything. I do not think that man will ever stop flirting.

"Charlotte, you look lovely."

My eyes shoot up, shock present in my face. Liam looks serious as our eyes meet, but he nods, confirming to me that he has spoken. I stand there for a minute, dumbfounded that he has complimented me for the first time in weeks.

"Oh, thank you. You look nice too." I reply once I've snapped out of my confusion.

Like clockwork, the Viscountess rushes down the stairs, donning her new dress straight from the modiste. She is a beautiful woman, I just wish things didn't get so strained between everyone. The whole fight in February really took a toll on our relationships.

"My! Charlotte! You look absolutely marvelous! Surely you will receive a proposal tonight, I have no doubts in my mind." She gushes, taking a good look at me. I smile a bit, shaking my head at her words, "I do not think that will happen, but I guess we shall see."

We hurry to the carriage before we are off to the Duke's estate. Tonight will be an important night for the Styles family. Their daughter will be seen with Duke Phillips for the first time since news of their engagement has broken. Though it was arranged, the Duke did try to make the proposal a surprise for Gemma. She told me that it was genuinely quite sweet.

When we arrive at the sprawling estate, the first thing my eye catches out the window is his hair. Harry stands by the entrance, his back to us as he converses with the Duke and Gemma. My heart races at the thought of a possible proposal, however I know it would not happen tonight. This is Gemma's night and he would not do anything to take that away from her.

The carriage stops and John helps the Viscount and Viscountess out first, Liam follows and then it is my turn. Liam puts out his hand for me to take, which I reluctantly do, surprised at his sudden change.

"Thank you." I mutter, feeling awkward around someone who used to be my best friend.

"Of course, Charlotte. And if you are to receive a proposal tonight, congratulations." he whispers back. My head is sent spinning at his words, not sure if this is truly Liam, or some imposter. Is he ill or has he lost his memory. Still, I nod, mumbling a thank you.

"Char!" Harry's voice rings out. I look up, seeing him hastening down the stairs with a big smile on his face. When he reaches us, he bows politely and we all return the favor. "Charlotte, you look wonderful this evening. Extraordinary."

His grin is electrifying and his eyes are aglow. I have never seen the man look so inexplicably happy. He looks back at the Viscount and the Viscountess, "Come, I shall introduce you to Duke Phillips." he urges, beginning to guide us up the stairs.

Gemma watches as we walk up, giggling and whispering to the Duke, no doubt about Harry and I. He keeps glancing behind his shoulder to meet my eyes with a big smile. When we reach the top of the stairs he looks toward the Duke and Gemma. "James, this is the Viscount Staffordshire, his wife, his son Liam Payne, and their cousin, Charlotte Pembroke." He smiles as he says my name, and we all bow and curtsy as we are introduced.