thirty one

Being at a ball without Harry is very strange, I must admit. Without him here, more and more men have been coming up to me, asking for a dance. Unfortunately, I have to say yes to them, since standing around, not engaging in the party would be rude.

None of the Styles have come, which is disappointing considering I would have at least liked to spend time with Gemma. Liam and Penelope have kept me company though, with Penelope asking a thousand questions about Harry and I. I'm sure she's been bursting at the seams wanting answers to these since the beginning of the season.

Liam has been a little more himself, however I feel that is because Harry is not at the ball at all. It's probably better this way, as it gives us a chance to find our rhythm as friends again. Slowly but surely we shall get there and things will be okay again.

I've worn the necklace Harry gifted me to this ball, wanting to keep him near me. I never would have imagined how sad I would get to have him gone from me. Hopefully he arrives to Cheshire safely and comes home soon. Selfishly I hope he finishes his work early so he can get home early. The sooner he gets back, the sooner a proposal will happen.

By attending this ball and not having Harry to wrap myself up in, I have come to realize I've missed a lot of information. Mr. Tomlinson is now attempting to court a Miss Chapman. She is the daughter of a Marquess, so he would be marrying up in ranks. He was a kind man, and I am happy for him if he is happy.

There was apparently a rushed marriage, probably due to some scandal. From what I've heard of the two, they most assuredly spent too much time unchaperoned. I would not be surprised if they were to have a child together in the next nine months.

As I'm walking back to find Liam from getting a refreshment, I just about knock into a man. "Oh my goodness! I am so sorry!" I immediately apologize, feeling incredibly embarrassed that this has happened again. At least this time I am not alone in a hall.

"Oh, no, I am sorry. I should have been paying attention." he says, turning to face me.

He is handsome; dark eyes, dark features, tanned skin. I have never seen him before, that is for sure, and I have been to pretty much every ball. Have I just been that preoccupied with Harry?

"No, truly it was my fault..." I pause since I do not know his name.

He bows his head, "Zayn Malik, Duke of Manchester. And you are?"

This time I curtsey, realizing he is an important man. He looks quite young to be a Duke, which means his father must not be alive anymore. "Charlotte Pembroke, cousin to the Viscount Staffordshire."

He takes my hand, placing a kiss on it. My cheeks immediately get red, but I am stunned silent. This is not good at all. Harry will most likely find out about this exchange due to all the gossipers. "It is lovely to meet you Miss Pembroke. Perhaps we shall dance?" he asks, offering me a flirty smile.

I bite my lip roughly, looking at him. I really cannot say no to a Duke, no matter how much I want to. "Yes, of course." I nod. He smiles, "Perfect." He leads me out to the dance floor confidently, obviously unaware of my courtship with Harry.

He is a fine dancer, very proper and swift. His touch does not ignite any fires within me and his eyes do not stare deep into my soul. He is sweet though, a true gentleman. "I do not believe I have seen you around, your grace."

Zayn nods, a charming smile crossing his lips, "Well, Miss Pembroke, that is because I have been in Manchester. I have not gotten the chance to join everyone for the season due to my dear father's passing. Once his affairs were in order I was able to come down and join the festivities." he explains.

My heart hurts at his words as I know the pain of losing a parent too well. "I am so sorry, your grace. My mother passed when I was only six, and I could only imagine how painful it was to lose your father and be able to remember him." I offer him my condolences sincerely.

"Yes, well he was sick for a long time so I like to believe he is in a better place now. And I am terribly sorry to hear about your mother. While losing my father was hard, I cannot imagine losing someone so important at such a young age." he shakes his head solemnly, his eyes showing me he is being earnest.

We continue to talk throughout the dance, enjoying each other's company. He is very kind and interested in learning more about me. A contrast from the other men I've danced with before. Besides Harry. Harry always flirts and tries to draw more trivial information from me so that he could buy me gifts or talk about it in a letter.

When the dance is over, we bow and curtsy to each other. "Thank you for the dance, Miss Pembroke. I surely will not forget it." He says, offering me another smile.

"Well thank you, your grace. You are too kind." I smile back, just wanting to be polite. "Perhaps we shall see each other again while I am in London. I would very much enjoy getting to know you better, Miss Pembroke."

My smile falters at his words, knowing what he means is he wishes to get to know me better so we could court. "Oh... I am flattered, truly. However, I am currently courting Lord Styles of Cheshire." I say gently, hoping he understands.

But his smile just grows, his gaze unwavering. "Well I do not see Lord Styles of Cheshire here tonight. If he were truly courting you he would be trying to stop me, would he not?"

"Lord Styles had business to take care of back in Cheshire. I am sure if he were here he would have something to say." I do not like the way this conversation is going and wish more than anything that Harry was here to step in.

"Did he buy you that necklace you wear?" he asks, his eyes falling to the diamonds against my neck. I nod once, unable to find my voice. "Hm. It is nice."

"Charlotte!" Liam's voice breaks through the conversation. His hand touches my shoulder, pulling me back from the man in front of me. "Your grace, if you would excuse us please, my dear cousin and I must be headed home now." he says, an edge to his voice.

Zayn smiles at him, a charming smile, "But of course. Do not let me keep you waiting. It was lovely meeting you, Miss Pembroke. Hopefully we see each other in town again soon." He bows once before turning, walking away from us.

Dazed, Liam walks me away, back toward the Viscountess. Surely I must have been reading too much into that interaction. There is no way that Duke was flirting with me. Everyone knows Harry is close to a proposal, Zayn must have been informed as well.

Just like how when Harry comes back to town, he will be told of how Zayn has flirted with me. I do not know how he will react, especially knowing the second he was away every man took their opportunity to try and steal me away. But my heart belongs to Harry, I love him and I will assure him of that upon his arrival.

"Charlotte, did he say anything that has offended you?" Liam asks as we begin our walk back to the carriage. I quickly shake my head, trying to snap out of it. "No, no. Not at all. Just a bit flirty toward the end, that is all."

I would be a liar if I did not admit I am nervous for Harry's arrival back to London, for I know this encounter with the Duke is not a one time thing. He will continue to pop up, especially when Harry is around. And Harry has proven that he has the shortest temper known to man. I feel sorry for Zayn almost, knowing that Harry will not give into whatever silly game he is trying to play.

We get into the carriage, the tension in the air thick with the knowledge that Zayn has no clue what he has just walked into. None of us do. Will Harry be his usual, intense and hostile self? Or will he be secure in his relationship and know that Zayn means nothing in the grand scheme of things?

I guess we shall find out in three days when he returns.

**

And welcome to the drama :) Things are about to get a little crazy... buckle up

gab