forty five

Most people would find me foolish for turning down the Duke. Especially for a reason such as love.

Nobody knows of Harry's desire to propose or that we've talked in the last two days. To everyone, Harry has ended the courtship for good but still seems a bit jealous. They know not that he has told me he loves me. Thank god they do not know of the liberties we have taken.

As I pace my room, I know Zayn is going to be furious. I'm going to seem desperate for Lord Styles and he may not even take no for an answer. I pray to god that the Viscount does not force me to marry this man.

A part of me wishes I told Harry to come earlier. He suggested it, but I wanted to avoid a run in of the two men. If he would have come earlier, perhaps it would have been easier for me to turn down Zayn, as I would already have another offer. That was silly of me, but it's too late now.

With a deep breath, I stop walking and finally decide to head to the drawing room. But first, I look at myself in the mirror. My eyes trail every piece of skin that Harry has kissed or touched. Never did I imagine how amazing I could feel at the hands of another. I'm not quite sure I could get enough of him at this point.

My lips turn up into a slight smirk, knowing that I have a secret. That I have done something so inappropriate with Harry that I want to continue doing, married or not. I quickly wipe the smirk off my face and finally leave my room, going through the hall and down the stairs.

Liam and the Viscountess are in the drawing room. Liam is reading the paper and the Viscountess is reading her gossip columns. He looks up when I enter, smiling, "Sister, glad you could join us, you seem to be sleeping in later and later every day. Having trouble sleeping?" he asks, obviously concerned since usually I am the first one awake.

Last night I really pushed it. Harry and I must have laid in bed talking for hours before we decided we needed to go home. I needed to make sure Annie was in the stable and I was up in my room before the maids woke up. I got home right on time too, barely avoiding getting caught.

I shrug, sitting down next to Liam, "I was just up worrying about the Duke's proposal." I lie, unable to tell him the real truth, especially around the Viscountess. Liam puts down his paper, looking at me, "Char, I know it is hard, but the Duke is a kind man." he sighs, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Liam, Harry will come, I know he will. I cannot be so quick to say yes to the Duke, it hasn't even been a month!" I argue, shaking my head. "Harry will come. I know it. He will not let the Duke swoop in and propose to me out of nowhere." I assure him.

He looks at me sympathetically, not knowing that I am right. "Well there is no need to give the Duke an answer yet. Surely he will understand if you take some time to consider."

I roll my eyes, taking the paper from his hands and beginning to read it. He places a loving kiss to my head before getting up to get something to snack on, "You know, sister, I would be fine with you postponing your wedding until next year. This way I will not be upstaged by some grand wedding you will be sure to have." He teases, glancing over at me.

I scoff, shaking my head, "You would enjoy that huh? Perhaps I shall just elope and have my wedding clouded in scandal, this way yours is praised and adored." I tease back, unable to stop my grin.

"An elopement? How scandalous, my dear sister." He fake gasps, coming back over to sit down. The Viscountess looks at us, obviously not too happy about talks of elopement. "Nobody in this household will be eloping! Especially you, Charlotte. God, elopement only means one thing and we do not need everyone believing you to be ruined or with child." she sighs.

It takes everything in me not to laugh or smile, knowing that Harry and I would probably benefit from elopement. However, the idea of being with child definitely sticks in the back of my mind. But, then again it would be Harry's child, so as long as we get married quickly we should be okay.