❧ 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 ❧

Nik angrily stomps through the dark forest, fallen twigs and leaves crunching under his boots as he walks with no destination letting his anger guide him

He tried so hard to please the man he called father, but whatever he did was not enough and would always result in being screamed at then followed by the beating. The dark purplish bruise under his left half swollen eye leads down to his cheek with a matching bruise on his right shoulder.

Niklaus is so caught up in stomping with no direction and his loud thoughts that he doesn't notice the large fallen tree branch until he is already tripping over it, falling face-first in the mud.

He lets out a cry of frustration when he lifts his head out of the mud.

" Could this wretched day get any worse!" He screams out to the crescent moon hanging against the night sky.

" I hope not." A small voice startles him as he glances to his side to see a girl taking a seat on the tree branch he just tripped over.

When had she walked up?

He didn't even hear her approaching him, too consumed in his anger. He can't make out much of her features with the mud in his face, but he can see the light brown skin on her tiny hands on the lap of her dress from the light of the moon.

" You can follow me to the creek to wash your face. The mud will cause horrible rashes on your face if not cleaned off soon."

She stands up and holds her hand out to him, but Nik can only stare at the girl who is now being basked in the moonlight, seeing her features as clear as day. Rounded meadow green eyes stared down at him as they stuck out against her soft, lightly browned skin, dark freckles sprawled out over her nose and cheeks, while her long dark hair framed her face and traveled down in waves to her full hips.

" Can you take my hand? I don't want you to get rashes." The girl speaks out again, breaking hun from his thoughts. He puts his hand in hers, and she helps him out of the mud before leading him to the creek only a few feet away, the moonlight shining down on it, giving it just enough light. She bends down at the ford, the end of her white dress getting wet. She pulls me down to bend with her and starts to gather water in her hands, proceeding to wash the mud off my face.

Who is this girl, and why does she feel the need to help me? Does she pity me?

I can feel my anger start to rise, but as soon as I feel her soft hands against my bruised cheek, it simmers away.

" You do not have rashes thank the moon, but I am concerned about the bruises on your face and shoulder." She glances at my shoulder, tracing her fingers over it softly. " I have a paste to put on your face and shoulder that will help the swelling on your eye go down and the bruises."