21. Barbie

Hardin

" January? Like, in the beginning?"

"Yehh. But not the exact beginning. Mid Jan. Around tenth, I reckon. " I nod parting some moisture to my  lip. I carelessly pick at the socks at my ankle, resting on the knee.

" But why do they want you to go? Wasn't the meeting enough? Any particular problem? The deal wasn't finalized?" He asks almost in a rush and that is when I look at him through the screen. Actually his agitated voice forces me to focus.

Tension is clear on his face.

"It was finalized. But it's better I go and see it myself. I don't want them to think that I am taking weapons leniently… Over that with Marco gone , Rocco will be trying to intervene in anything and everything I do." My eyes flee back to my shoes where a little ash from the cigarette has fallen. I flick it away. " I don't want the Russians to get bothered about that… one slip up and an arsenal falls into the wrong hands. I can't do that" I say looking back at him, taking a drag of my cigarette while Christian nods.

I blow the smoke, as I watch him immerse into some thoughts. His slow nod, then his fingers combing his hairs into a mess is a sign of frustration.

I take another drag before asking,
" What!?"

" Do you want me to accompany you?"

Ugh not again…

I cannot help but roll my eyes. I am tired of trying to tell him that he doesn't need to be guilty. It's my fate by birth. And also I chose to carry the responsibility myself freeing Christian completely of Vultures. I prefer him completely safe, specially with now Rose in question.

" Chris for the hundredth time. Stop doing that…" I say, which comes out as a bark.

" And for the Hundredth time, I don't like you going alone on these trips. It's like shoving you in the mouth of sharks. " he huffs.

" The Russia trip is safe Chris. They are our partners not rivals. Over that I will have an armada of people with me… Stop worrying…."

" I cannot. You know that."

" I know but you also know that I can handle myself… " I ask him, raising a brow. " I would rather you spend some time with Rose over chaperoning me. "

Rose. That breaks his face in a smile followed by a chuckle. I haven't met her in days.

" Anyways. When are you coming back? Twenty-seventh? " I continue changing the topic completely.

" Probably… Or maybe twenty-sixth . Kimberly is chipping my eardrums wanting to meet Tessa… that woman is nuts… If it wasn't for the fact that she met her parents just once a year, she would have left the moment I told her your arrival with Tessa  " he throws his hands in the air, in clear exasperation. Knowing Kimberly, I am sure she is bouncing in her heels to meet Tessa.

" Yeah…..But I am scared….." I spit while shaking my head.

"Scared?" he asks, clearly confused. I doubt it is because he might have heard me saying that I am scared for a very limited number of time.

I discard the small left over of the flag in the astray.

" Are you unaware of how close Mum and Kim are? Or maybe how close Kim and Tess were?" I ask, as I watch realisation slowly dawn on his face. His eyes widens . " Mum is already acting like she owns Theresa… Imagine those three together…"

He playfully slaps his hands on the table." Fuck, wanker. They are gonna team up…  Nouu… " He groans dramatically.

" Yeah exactly…" I say and somehow the notion makes us break into laughter at the same time…