chapter 4 - why him of all people

I woke up rather early, early enough to see the runners leave but when I walked out of my hut I saw that newts hit door was open I quickly ran to the maze walls to see Newt waving goodbye to Minho and... Ably!?!? My own brother is going into the maze!!? I may not be a runner but I was pretty fast, i tried not to wake everyone else up but the worry that washed over me as my brother ran into the maze was making me slowly forget that.

I made my way to Newt and slapped his shoulder, not hard but hard enough to know I was a little angry, "hey, please tell me, I didnt see what I saw," he opened his mouth to respond, then closed it again, "are you hiding something from me," I say shocked, he looked down and sighed. "Ably didnt want you to know because he wants you safe," he said. "Well I've caught him running into the maze and if newtie doesn't give me a reason I might just run after them myself," I say annoyed. "Ok, ok I'll tell you," he paused to take a breath, "minho found a dead griever and him and ably went to investigate, " I gasped and quietly just nodded, "in happier news you get to work as a med jack today, yay," newt said, I smiled a little, I like both my jobs but sometimes i like being a medjack more.

All day I was sick to my stomach thinking about my brother, this is the maze we are talking about, who knows what could happen.

Standing but the maze doors with my arm around Chuck making sure he could see and was in the front of the others, "cant we send someone after them, " Thomas asked with his hand in Newts, "it's against the rules, it's either they come back or they don't, " gally responded, "we cant risk loosening anyone else Tommy, " newt said with a small sad smile, "believe me if we could I'd be the first one out," I spoke up, Gally gave me a stern look and grabbed my arm that wasn't around chuck, "calm down Gal I'm not gonna go into the-," I was cut off by Thomas pointing, "there," I looked to see Minho carrying my brothers limp body and the doors started to close, my arm that was around chuck dropped and Gally held my head into his chest hugging me I assume out of fear, the fact that he didnt want me seeing it and also to stop me from going into the maze everyone was cheering Minho on but the door were inches away from eachother, I looked back to see Thomas run into the maze, "THOMAS NO!" Newt, chuck and I shouted at the same time. I ran to my hut and slammed my head on my pillow.

I cried.

Until my whole body was numb.

Y/n, can you hear me

This voice in my head was so angelic, and so familiar. I nodded.

Good, wckd wouldn't like my speaking to you but I cannot stand being away from you for more then a year, all I wanted to say was, see you soon.

Who was that? why she she in my head? Who is WCKD? What is WCKD? Why wouldn't they like this girl to talk to me? Is this all a dream? Am I going crazy?