Chapter 36 - The surprise

Okay guys, so next chapter is the last one, eeeeek! I hope you like this one, and please comment what you think, it would mean the world! :) ♥
LOVE YOU ALL!

CASS POV
I sat on my bed, staring up at the ceiling and keeping my breathing even, feeling my chest rise and fall. What was happening to Blair? She’d run out of class today, and she was crying in a way that shattered my heart. Her sobs ran through my mind, clear as ever. The way she shook… I just knew that was the result of true heartbreak. I thought she was better, you know, on the road to recovery. Turns out she swerved off of that road and hit a tree, because she was right back to square one…
I sighed and rested my hands on my face, dragging them down in an action of frustration. I had to think of something, and fast. Ideas swarmed my mind, but none of them really clicked as the perfect choice. They were all based on cheering her up, making her forget. But… maybe that’s not what she needed. It hit me. She didn’t need to forget! Those days with Ryan were the best she’s ever had. The look in her eyes as they twinkled when she was around him… it was irreplaceable. She needed to remember! Remembering would bring them back together…
Suddenly, a thought sprung to mind, and I moved lightning quick to grab my phone from the white wooden dresser. I unlocked it and went into contacts to find a number I’d promised I wouldn’t call. But if it meant Blair getting better…
He picked up on the fourth ring. “Hello?” Came his voice. It was rough. Saddened. Emotionless.
“Ryan? Listen, its Cass.”
“Cass?” He asked surprisingly. “Why are you calling me?”
“I need to talk to you about something…”
“Blair,” he stated correctly.
“She’s not coping, Ryan. Blair needs you, as much as she hates to admit it.”
There was silence. “I know. I just don’t know how to reach her. She’s ignoring my calls, and I know that if I go out and find her that she’ll just run. What am I supposed to do, Cass?” he sighed despondently.
“I have an idea… but we’ll have to plan it.”
“And idea? Oh God, this can’t be good,” he groaned, but there was a spark of amusement behind it.
I laughed. “Hey, shut up. Do you want Blair back or not?”
“Yes,” he said instantly. “Whatever it takes, I’ll do it.”
“Okay, we need to meet. I’ll be at Café Supor in 15 minutes, meet there?”
“Done.”

BACK TO BLAIR POV
I didn’t want to go home. It took every ounce of my body to keep walking around Nashville, but it was better than having to go home and face a now overprotective mother. Ever since that day, she’s been so cautious around me. Like one wrong move would send me straight to my own grave. I hated it, and I wanted to tell her that it wasn’t helping. Acting normal would be the only logical thing to do, but she just wasn’t getting it.
I decided to call Cass and tell her I was okay. She must be worried sick after my ‘rushing out’ stunt today. She picked up instantly.
“Blair!” She breathed, relief flooding her voice.
“Hey,” I said, a smile playing at my lips. “I just wanted to tell you that I’m okay.”
“Oh, thank God.”
“Hey-“ I said, suddenly confused at the rumbling background of where she was. “Why is there so much talking, where are you?”
“I’m, uh, at café Supor,” she mumbled hesitantly. A voice in the background caught my attention. ‘Blair?’ It said. I sucked in a breath. It sounded just like… Ryan. I shook my head and scolded myself. It was just my mind playing tricks on me, which it had been doing a lot lately.
“Why are you there?”
“I just wanted to get out of the house. But hey, I’ll call you back-“
“How long have you been there for, maybe I could stop by? I mean I’m practically doing nothing, roaming the streets of Lockeland Springs.”
She laughed nervously. She’s hiding something. “About an hour now, I’m here with Brad.”
Oh. She was there with her brother… that’s probably what she was so secretive about. They basically despised each other, and for someone to see them together would be beyond humiliating for them both. I didn’t want to interrupt that.
“Oh, alright. Well if you need me, I’m dropping by Layla’s, okay?”
“Alright babe, I’ll call you in about a half an hour.”
“Bye.”
I hung up before her response, and began walking sternly towards Layla’s house. It wasn’t quite dark yet, looked to be about 6:30.
I zigzagged the streets until I came to her house, walking up the small path to her door. I knocked 3 times and stood back. The door opened and her head popped up behind the screen door.
“Blair!” She squealed excitedly. I laughed as she fumbled with the lock, but when the door was open she jumped out and pulled me into a tight hug.
“Hey, Layla,” I muttered into her silk blouse, the colour of a light lilac. Pastel colours always suited her.
“What are you doing here? Oh, wait, why am I asking! How rude, come in, come in!” She babbled, looking innocent but a little guilt stricken for being ‘rude’.
“Well, we didn’t really catch up these holidays, so here I am.”
She smiled, and then led me down into her room, which was a light blue with lace almost everywhere. Lace lampshades, quilts, sofa padding. It was very posh.
“So how are you?” Layla asked, concerned.
I smiled bravely. “You know what? I’m good. But hey, let’s not talk about it. Let’s have fun.”