Chapter 5 - Concert hangovers

“Where have you been young lady?” A voice yelled from the study. I heard it through the lounge and saw a door open just beside the TV. Mum stepped out, and she had completely changed. Instead of wearing sensible clothes, she was back to miniskirts and tank tops. Her hair was still brown, but it was teased up at the back, making it look like a bird had nested there for years. Her make-up was heavy and black, her eyes standing out the most.
“Mum… what happened?” I gasped. Why had she changed all of a sudden?
“I went out last night, couldn’t be bothered changing,” she grumbled, striding over to me. “As for you, I told you you couldn’t go to that concert!”
I bit my lip as I was thinking for a response that wouldn’t get me killed. “I’m sorry, mum. I had to go.”
“No, you didn’t.” She was right in front of me now, and started to raise her hand. My breathing became fast and I started to back away. As I was stepping backwards my heel hit the arch of the lounge and I hit the arch with a thud. Instead of cringing as she brought the hand down, I stared into her eyes with pure hatred. She didn’t seem to notice and continued with bringing her hand down onto her face.
Instead of letting her hit me, letting her abuse me; I grabbed her wrist and prevented her from hitting me. Her face was filled with surprise and she forcefully tried to pry herself away. Her face became scared as I stood up tall and looked levelly at her.
“Not today, mum. I’ve had enough of your abuse!” I growled through gritted teeth. I threw her wrist backwards, this caused her to stumble and take a moment to regain her balance. She rubbed her wrist, as if I had hurt her, then looked up at me with a wordless expression. The look in her eyes was pure hurt, like I’d betrayed her.
“How- how could you do that?” She stuttered.
“How can you just try to hit me like that?” I pushed, putting my hands on my hips.
“Don’t answer my question with a question!”
“Mum, please. Can we just get along for a few days, until Laura’s here? You know how she’ll feel if she see’s us fighting all the time. And she always see’s past our acts.”
Mum looked down at the ground and make thinking noises. “Just promise me you’ll behave. No more sneaking out, no more attitudes. Yes?”
“Okay.” We smiled at each other and I went into my bedroom and logged onto my black Compaq laptop. It was shocking how we could get over things in a split second sometimes. I clicked the ‘Firefox’ icon and waited for the slow connection to load up the page. As soon as the ‘Google’ home screen was up I clicked on my Facebook tab on the favourites manual toolbar. As I scrolled down my newsfeed, all I could see were statuses from Cass. Most said ‘ohemgeee, the HCR concert was ah-mazing! Jamie Follese, you complete me!’ Something along the lines of that, and others were photos and videos of the boys performing on stage. I laughed and clicked on the status button, wanting to tell all my friends that I finally got to go to the Hot Chelle Rae concert, and that my waiting finally paid off. I started to move my fingers along the keyboard speedily, making only few errors that I would fix up at the end. Before I clicked ‘update’ I checked the status over one last time. ‘Finally got to go to the Hot Chelle Rae concert. Could not have asked for anything better! I love those 4 boys, they make my life worth living! Love youuuu’s <3’
I smiled proudly and updated the status. In only a few seconds two notifications popped up. One was Simone Alattor liking the status, the other was Layla Parlor commenting on it. I clicked the notification and read the comment aloud.
“So glad you go to go babe. Everything’s okay at home?” I murmured to myself. My words were slurred, and anyone listening to me would have not heard a thing I said. I clicked on the white comment box and started to type away, finally relieved of my decision to delete my mum from my friends list before the concert. My reply was: ‘Everythings fine at home, Laura’s coming down tomorrow. See you soon, we have to catch up! X’
I pressed enter and was about to close the window when a few more notifications popped up. I clicked on them, curious to what they were. One was people liking my status. ‘Layla Parlor and 7 others liked your status’ the other was Laura Everty commenting, as well as Cass.