Chapter 10 - Troubles with Cass

My feet were running as fast as they could, and a silhouette appeared in front of me. Cass! She was limping and coming towards me at a slow pace. As she got closer I could see her face as the moonlight casted light onto it. Her make-up was completely ruined, black lined running from her eyes and I could see her cheeks were wet from tears. She ran into my open arms and we both dropped to the ground, both our knees resting on the grass. I could hear her sobs and I started to cry as well, seeing her like this really struck me. I heard footsteps approaching and looked behind me to see Ryan and Ian rushing over, with Nash and Jamie tagging behind a little slower with bottles in their hands; I could see liquid spurt out from the tops as their steps were unsteady and heavy. Hands were grabbing at my shoulder and I saw that Ian was trying to get me back on my feet, with Ryan doing to same with Cass. In the process Cass was pulled away from me, and she reached her hands out and made a noise, like a baby desperately wanting its bottle. Ryan let go and she rushed back into my arms again.

“Okay, now will someone tell me what’s going on?” Jamie panted. He’d run about 100 metres and he was bending over a little, his breathing quite ragged. I stepped back and held onto Cass’ shoulders. Her expression changed from upset to neutral, then completely star struck as she saw who I was with. I gave a short laugh and wiped her tears away with thumb, succeeding with getting rid of the tears but smudging her make-up even more.

“Cass, tell me what happened?” I urged, shaking her shoulders a little to get her to focus back on me.

“I- I got caught after I was on the phone with you,” She whispered, barely audible. “Steve got really mad… he pushed me into the wall… Then he said some things and smashed the bottle…”

“What bottle? What about the blood, you said there was blood?” My voice was starting to get panicked, and my mind was reeling with questions.

“Yes, the bottle. He smashed it on my foot…” She looked down at her right foot, which was covered in blood and had some bits of glass sticking in the dried bits of crimson, although it looked black in the moonlight.

“Oh, shit. Come on, let’s get that fixed.” I moved next to her and tried desperately to hold her weight so she could limp down to my house.

“I got this,” Nash said roughly, guiding me away and picking Cass up bridal style. He made her look like she weighed nothing, and he walked in the wrong direction to my house.

“Nash, this way.” Ryan pointed down at my street and we all began to walk over to it at a fast pace. Nash walked ahead of the group, with Ian next to him and Ryan and his brother joined my sides, both their arms brushing against mine.

“Hey are you okay?” Jamie asked me, looking straight at me, he didn’t have to bend down like Ryan did as he was my height, and the shortest of the band.

“Yeah… this hasn’t happened in a while. Just shaken up,” I replied quietly.

“What hasn’t happened in a while?” Ryan asked.

“Cass’ stepdad can get really… angry. He just does things he’ll regret. I can’t believe he did it again.”

“He smashed a bottle on her foot? Seriously?” Jamie sounded astonished at such a thing. I would be too, if I didn’t know what happened before that.

“That’s pretty tame for him. Last time he… he, uh-“ I choked and swallowed down my memories, trying not to picture it in my mind. “He smothered her with a pillow… he tried to kill her.”

There was an alarming voice in my mind, saying that I should never let Cass go back to that house. I didn’t intend to, no matter what her dad did to get past me.