Chapter 22 - Could this really be true?

“Excuse me?” I snorted disrespectfully. This man had a lot of nerve. “I don’t know who you are, or what you want with me, or anyone else for that matter, but you better leave right now!” I began to slam the door shut but his hand caught it before it hit the doorframe, his fingers centimetres away from being broken because of the force I’d shut it with.

“You have a right to be angry, Blair. It’s been 17 years.”

“Why should I believe you? Huh? What if this is some sort of sick joke?”

“I guess you’ll just have to trust me.”

I couldn’t help it. I burst into malicious laughter, clutching my stomach and watching as his face fell. He stepped forward to enter the apartment, but I put my arm out to stop him.

“What do you think you’re doing?” I asked icily, my voice hard and vulgar.

“Blair?” Came a small voice from behind me. I turned to see Ryan rubbing his eyes, and my face softened. Seeing him with his bed hair and crinkled shirt from just waking up made my heart melt. “Everything alright?”

I reassured him with a smile. “Everything’s fine. I’ll be back in a minute.”

“Blair Rhiannon Everty, I thought you’d be a little nicer to your father when he gave you a visit,” His voice was just as icy, making goose bumps rise on my skin. I knew what he was doing, and I knew that he knew what he was getting himself into. He understood that if he said he was my father in front of Ryan then he’d be guaranteed to be let inside.

“What? Your father?” Ryan exclaimed, moving closer to the door. I rolled my eyes.

“Yes. But he was just leaving.”

“No I wasn’t. I believe I need to use your phone… may I?”

“Sure, come in.” The voice that spoke was not mine. My mouth was open and I made a small sound, which was meant to come out as a strong rejection. Instead someone’s voice interrupted that. It was Ryan’s, and I shot him a glare as he gave me a look. The man, whose name I didn’t know, walked straight past me and up to Ryan.

“You must be Ryan. My daughter loves you, I must say,” He said while shaking his hand firmly. I walked over to them both, just as Ryan and I looked at each other warily.

“Well, yeah,” I added. As I was at Ryan’s side, he pulled me into him by resting his hand on my waist. I put my arm around his.

My father cleared his throat awkwardly. “My, uh, other daughter.”

“Other daughter?” My voice came out as a strangled mess, and I scolded myself for not having more control.

“Yes, I have another daughter. And a son,” he stated proudly. I found myself wondering if he was actually there for his children, or if he just left them too, like he did to me.

“Wh-what’s your other daughter’s name?” I mentally crossed my fingers and waited for him to hopefully say Laura. At least my family wouldn’t be a complete wreck, with mum sleeping with different men. I wanted us to have the same dad… I didn’t want to go through this alone.

“Gabby.”

I felt my face turn from an expectant smile to no smile at all. I felt tears well up in my eyes, and I hastily put my head down and shook it disappointedly.

“My son’s name is Alec,” He added.

“What’s yours?” I asked stiffly. We’d been talking for over 5 minutes and I didn’t even know my father’s name.