Chapter 37 - Last Chapter Guys ♥

The candles twinkled in the night; it wasn’t windy so they didn’t flicker roughly like I’d thought they would. It was… truly beautiful. I found myself smiling as I walked down the path, but I looked down at the ground the whole time. I didn’t want to look up and see what was ahead, I wanted to not have time to think. I wanted to live for the moment, not plan it out. The only sound was my feet padding on the concrete path, and I took a few deeps breaths and shoved my hands into my hoodie pocket, I’d had it in my schoolbag in case I’d need to hide away from the world. My bag thudded against the back of my legs repeatedly, and I could feel my books through the thin material as they hit the back of my thighs.

It felt as if I’d been walking for over ten minutes, but as I contemplated the minutes in my mind, the path came to a stop. I halted and slowly looked up, flicking my hood off in the process. The candles spread out into a sitting area, they were placed on benches and on steps. I sucked a breath it, it looked surreal. And there, on one of the benches with a guitar on the seat next to him, was Ryan Follese.

I felt my heart beat increase, and I stepped forward cautiously. My mind screamed at me to run, knowing that if I talked to him I would fall in love all over again. Although, I never really broke out of it… I’d always loved him.

Ryan lifted his chin, a gesture to say ‘come, sit’ and so I did. I cleared my throat as I sat down, but my eyes never left his. The soft candlelight flickered against his face, and I could see he’d cleaned himself up. There was no stubble above his lips from where his moustache sometimes grew, but not even a quick cleanse could get rid of the bags under his eyes. I suddenly felt so guilty; I was doing this to him.

“Hi,” he whispered. “You actually came.”

Ryan reached his hand out and set it across my knee, but I didn’t pull away. His touch… it sent shivers through me. I’d missed it. I’d missed his hands on my face, his fingers tucking hair behind my ears, his palms sliding down my waist… I’d missed it all. And it hurt. A lot.

“Yeah,” I agreed. We sat there in silence for a moment. “So, what’s all this?”

He suddenly took my hand in both of his. “I miss you, Blair. So much it hurts. And I know you’ve missed me too, you just won’t admit it-“

“I’ll admit it,” I said meekly. “I’ve missed you so much. And I don’t think I’ll ever get over you. I’ve been trying but... it’s impossible.”

He smiled slightly. “Don’t try to get over me, follow your heart.”

I breathed air out of my nose in frustration.

“What does it say?” he asked.

“What?”

“Your heart?”

“It’s hard to tell when it’s shattered into a million pieces,” I grumbled. He laughed nervously.

“I know the feeling.” My face fell at that. “Oh, God Blair I didn’t mean to say that, I’m sorry. It’s not your fault that it-“

“It is, and we both know it.”

We both looked down at our laps, Ryan had pulled his hands back when he thought he’d offended me. I suddenly felt cold, so I shuffled along the seat to be closer to him. He took the hint, but slowly wrapped an arm around me, careful not to move too fast. I snuggled into him.

“I miss this,” he mumbled into my hair.

“Me too,” I replied, reaching my hand up to grasp onto his ‘Van Fuckin’ Halen’ shirt. “Aren’t you cold?”

He chuckled. “Freezing. But the things I would do for you Blair… suddenly sitting in 6 degree weather for an hour seems like nothing.”

I smiled, feeling my control slip away. Why did I have to stay away from him? It made me happy.