Chapter 16 - The performance

Well the beach is empty,” Ryan sung. I didn’t know how I was going to match my voice to his level, but I was going to try as hard as I could.

And the skies are grey,” I sung, to him more than the audience as we were facing each other and walking backwards a little.

It’s getting cold out of the pier.” I was shocked to grasp the fact that our voices completely matched together. The tones were perfect and they just… went together flawlessly.

I could barely hear myself singing the next part, as the crowd was so loud, but I persevered as best I could and sung the duet with Ryan. “Ever since you left me.”

There hasn’t been a sunny day.”

“I gotta say it’s getting weird.” Ryan shrugged cutely as we sung this part. “I’m tired of waiting. Come back to California, it sucks without you here. It’s like the sun stopped shining, the palm trees disappeared.” We sang the song, moving about the stage like we’d been doing it together for years. It was almost at my solo -- my favourite part of the entire song -- which meant that Nash was on his guitar solo. I had to admit, he was amazing! The way he moved his fingers on the guitar was incredible. Almost all of the instruments stopped, and I stepped forward to sing.

Come back to California,” I began; Ryan clapped his hands next to me, causing the crowd to as well. I felt a sudden rush come over me. This I what I’ve been wanting to do for all of my life, and it was finally my time. I didn’t need America’s got talent or any other audition show; I had my ticket to stardom right here. And I was completely and utterly in love with him. “It sucks without you here. It’s like the sun stop shining. The palm trees disappeared.”

The music kicked in again, and I stepped back to jump around and get into the song. We both started to sing again, moving in from where we were spread out on the stage. Ryan stopped clapping and sung with me, letting the melody envelop us both. After another chorus, Ryan reached over and grabbed my hand, linking his fingers through mine.

I’m just tryna’ say I miss you.” My part.

And I’m just, tryna’ say I miss you.” Ryan's part.

“I miss you.” Our voices worked really well together in this part, and as the song ended we both took a bow, our hands still intertwined. After waiting for the crowd to settle and stop screaming, Ryan showed me off to them.

“Give it up for Blair!”

I gave him a kiss on the cheek and climbed offstage, running through so many people towards a very excited looking Cass.

“That was amazing!” She yelled over the boys saying their goodbyes to Melbourne. We screeched and grabbed each other’s hands, jumping around and dancing.

“Really?!” I yelled back.

“Yes! I have never heard you sing that well before! I had no idea, Blair… it’s incredible,” Cass said, her face filling with pride and tears welling in her eyes.

“Cass! Don’t go all mushy on me! Let’s go backstage.” As I was talking I saw the curtains close in my peripherals. I grabbed Cass’ hand and headed over to the door that was heavily guarded by security guards. A hand slipped out and gave one a piece of paper. The guard read it out, his voice rough and loud.

“Blair and Cass? I need Blair and Cass!”

“Here!” Cass yelled, raising her hand up and pushing through teenage girls. We arrived at the front and I could now see what was on the piece of paper. Two names with photos underneath the scrawly writing. Huh, so that’s how you get backstage. Pretty smart, I thought to myself, giving a nod of approval. We both scooted to the door and were let inside. After walking through a long hallway that seemed to stretch on and on, I finally saw Ryan. He was leaning against a doorway, to their dressing room I would suppose, and when he saw me a smile lit up on his face.