Chapter 29 - Good to be back

Waiting for her to answer the door was the hardest part; I couldn’t get my brain to calm down. I didn’t know what to expect, and it make my stomach do flips. Would she be happy? Disappointed, even?

The handle twisted and swung open, revealing a very familiar woman.

“Blair?!” She exclaimed after a few seconds, bringing a hand up to her forehead and lifting her fringe up, in an act of pure astonishment.

“Hi, mum,” I said meekly. Before I could react she had pulled me into a hug and was grasping me tightly. I didn’t need to think about it, I wrapped my arms around her small body and squeezed tight. I couldn’t stop the tears that ran down my cheeks. As I pulled away, I saw she couldn’t either.

“Oh, sweetie,” mum whispered, reaching a hand up to wipe the tears off my face. “I’m so sorry for what I said when you left, I’m so sorry baby. I shouldn’t have been that stupid. Ryan makes you happy, and I know that now.”

I gave a small laugh that sounded more like a sob. “He does, mum. More than anything. And I would love if you two could… maybe be nice to each other for once. He’s in the car.”

She nodded instantly. “Of course, Blair. Get him in here, I just made coffee.” Mum turned and walked for a few paces, then turned left through the arch and into the kitchen. Instead of running out excitedly to Ryan like I should have, I just stood at the door and looked inside. I could see straight down the hall, all the way to the end where the back door was. I could see my bedroom door, which I had the urge to just run up to it and open it wide, seeing if anything had changed since I’d been gone. The lounge was different, there were new couches. Instead of the brown leather, they were now a soft white-grey material, very modern and it matched up beautifully with the whole room. I breathed in the scent that I had missed so much, but finally turned and jogged to the car. Ryan was on his phone, and was looking down at it. When I’d knocked on the window I saw he was texting someone. He rolled down the window when I had taken my hand away.

“Come inside, she’s agreed to be nice,” I managed to stutter out, my voice all over the place from my excitement.

He looked completely stricken. “Really?”

I laughed, my voice coming out steady this time. “Yes, now come on.” I opened the door and grabbed his arm tightly, -- seeing that his seatbelt was already un-clicked -- dragging him towards the house. There was strong pull at my right arm, and I had come to a standstill. Ryan stood and looked, if I wasn’t mistaken, scared.

“What if she’s lying? What if she has an axe and-“

“Ryan!” I exclaimed, surprised at how he thought my mother could do such a thing. “I trust my own mother,” I added, a brave tone in my voice.

He looked down at his feet, then looked back up and nodded slightly. “Alright. But first…” He stepped forward and wrapped me into his arms, pressing his lips to mine. It started out gentle, but after I’d run my finger along his cheekbone, he pressed against me harder. Heat seared through my body, starting at my lips and going all the way down to my feet. I could feel his touch through the thin material of the dress, and it felt amazing. Ryan pulled away from me, and I suddenly felt confused -- like waking up from a nap and not knowing the time. He tightened his grip and leaned down again, this time resting his head on my shoulder, our ears touching. I snuggled into his shoulder with my arms around his neck.

“You’ll be fine, Ry,” I whispered into his ear.

“I know,” he murmured back. “Let’s do this.”

Ryan pulled away, and this time he didn’t come back. Instead he slid his hand down my arm and grabbed a hold of my hand. I lead him up the stairs and to the front door, taking a deep breath before turning the handle and walking inside.