Chapter 28 - Where am I?!

I awoke on a bed, the sheets were scratching at my legs and the pillow was hard. I slowly lifted myself up, suddenly realising I had the worst headache.

“She’s awake,” someone young announced in the corner of the room. I couldn’t see who he was, my vision was blurred.

“Blair?”

That voice again. The voice from last night, or whenever I was attacked.

“Who are you?”

“Blair, it’s me.”

I rubbed at my eyes, but the room was too dim to see anything. The man came closer. Damien.

“W-what are you doing here? I remember being… I breathed in chloroform and was knocked unconscious… who did that?”

I could see the features of his face now, and they looked guilty. “I did. I’m sorry Blair…”

“Wait… you…. You knocked me out?! You bastard!” I flew myself at him, grabbing his collar as we both fell to the ground. I shook him, his head was knocking back and forth. Damien reached his hands up to stop me, and I realised that one of them was bandaged.

Someone grabbed me by the waist and pulled me off of him. “Your hand,” I said, confused.

“Yeah,” he looked down and turned it over, examining it. “Thank your friend Cass for that one.”

I remembered when Cass broke his wrist. The sickening crack, the way it was bent backwards. I shivered. “What day is it?” I asked.

“It’s Wednesday, a day after the concert,” Damien replied.

“Where am I?”

“You’re in Nashville, honey.”

“Nashville?! But I have to be in Adelaide, w-with Ryan.”

“I’m right here baby.” I whirled to see Ryan standing right behind me, his hands in his grey hoodie pockets and his eyes staring into mine.

“Ryan? What are you doing here? Hell, what am I doing here?”

“Well…” Damien began.

“Laura’s wedding is tomorrow, and we wanted you back in time to be there for her,” Ryan finished for him. I guess they were expecting something along the lines of ‘thanks’ or ‘it means a lot’. Well, that wasn’t what they were going to get.

“And you had to drug me to do it?! Are you fucking kidding me you two?!”

“Hey, Ryan had nothing to do with this. I just told him I’d meet him at the airport, he didn’t know I would, ah…”

“Use chloroform?”

“I still can’t believe you did that, Damien,” Ryan sighed. “She would have gone along with this for Laura, she didn’t need to be drugged.”

“Well it’s not like I know my daughter well enough to figure that out,” Damien hissed. Ryan and I both cringed, and I saw the hurt in his eyes. I walked over to Ryan and wrapped my arms around his waist.

“Could you give us a moment?” I asked Damien. He gave me a hard look before nodding and walking out of the small bedroom, which looked to be a motel room.

“Babe, I’m so sorry. I had no idea he was going to do that-“

I kissed him, cutting off his apology. He seemed surprise at first, his body became still, but then he wrapped his arms around my lower backside, pulling me in close. I brought my hands up to his face, moving my lips in sync with his. It felt different to be with Ryan like this in Nashville. It felt… like old times. I pulled away.