Chapter 24: A Light Supper

"All right when dad gets here, I'll do the talking okay?" Five said as he walked over to the table.

"I got a few questions for him myself," Diego said.

"Hey, we don't want to scare him off, all right?" Five said, "he might be able to help us stop doomsday, get home."

"Because seven of his kids from the future won't scare him off," I whispered to Klaus.

He chuckled.

"No, Five, we need to figure out why he's planning to kill the president," Diego said.

"This is a matter of life and death, you imbecile," Five said.

"Okay, yeah, maybe we should take turns talking, yeah? Here, whoever has got this conch shell gets to talk," Vanya suggested as she picked up a conch shell.

"Vanya, we don't have time for a debate, okay?" Five said.

"The conch reminds me of Lord of the Flies. I hated that book with a passion," I said cringing at the memory of dad forcing us to read it.

Allison walked over to Vanya and took the conch from her, "Maybe I should lead. We all know I'm a better public speaker than the rest of you."

"Okay, daddy's girl," Diego said.

"Oh, jealous, Number Two?" Allison asked him.

"Hey, no more numbers," Diego said as he walked over to her, "No more bullshit. We're Team Zero. We're all Team Zero."

"Uh, Diego... You don't have the conch," Luther pointed out.

"Yeah, I don't think the conch is such a good idea," I said.

Diego smiled and held up his finger at Luther before turning and snatching the conch out of Allison's hands and throwing it at the wall causing it to shatter.

I gave him a high five.

I went over to Five and wrapped my arms around him, "Are you going to tell me where you were all night?"

He kissed my head, "Later."

The doors swung open and dad walked in causing us all to freeze. I grabbed Five's hand and he pulled me over to the chair that was between his and Diego's. We all sat down and looked at dad.

"Not only have you burglarized my lab, set my chimp loose, conned your way into the Mexican Consulate, repeatedly stalked and attacked me, but you have, on numerous occasions, called me..."

Klaus sat down with a drink in his hand, "hey, pop. How's it hangin'?"

"... dad," he finished, "My reconnaissance tells me you're not CIA, not KGB, certainly not M15, so... who are you?"

We all looked at each other.

"We're your children," Five said causing dad to look at him, "from the future. In 1989, you adopted us all and trained us to fight against the world. Called us the Umbrella Academy."

"Why on earth would I adopt seven-"

"Eight," Allison interrupted, "one of us isn't here."

"Dead," Diego said, "One of us is dead."

"Yeah, ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba enough of that now," Klaus said as he looked behind him.

We all gave him a confused look.

He motioned for us to carry on.

"Regardless, what would possess me to adopt eight ill-mannered malcontents?" Dad asked.