CHAPTER 12: AN ILLUSION

We arrived the said location in half a day. It was a thick forest. It was strange and scary totally based on the fact that the atmosphere was just alike when Tristian was struggling in the room at Rika's place. The sun was almost set and the sky cast red shade all over the landscape. The forest was dark, dense and damp. And the smell of the soil was quite strong. A little fire was set just two trees away. And I felt a warmth that was common in Rika's room.

Wow. Is this some sick premonition? I thought. Only Goma, Zach, Ramel and I came according to Tristan's instructions. He said taking the police will not be fruitful as they are tracked by the government. So, after a lot of nagging and reluctance, uncle (Rika's dad) and Mr. Adkins let us go. We didn't know what we were messing with or how dangerous the kidnappers could be, so we were fully armed. Strange thoughts crossed my mind. I was trying my best to avoid them and once again I held out the gun with no confidence in myself. Imagine, all of this was set into the strange forest with zero clue of what future had for us.

It seemed like a normal forest but something was amiss. The night wasn't really young. But not even a little sound of the animals could be heard. No birds chirped. No leaves fell. There wasn't a bird circling the forest. There wasn't a movement of even a harmless animal. And sure thing, there was something stranger about this forest than it met the eyes. 

Not far did we walk, that we could see a huge dome-shaped rocky hill. Although the forest was so thick, we easily found the dungeon as if the dungeon itself lured us to it. The air started getting thicker and sweeter. The alikeness of the surroundings here with Rika's room shook my legs, but it wasn't the time to back off. The more we advanced near the dungeon, the more the atmosphere felt similar to when Tristan was using his psychic powers. Goma glanced at me.

"I think everything is strange about this place. Like security!! They have none. No guards. No animals. Nothing." Ramel stated. "How strange!" 

Yeah there was no living presence other than us. 

We stood around back-to-back examining the surrounding. But nothing felt dangerous, just wierd. Very wierd. We decided to the take the entry into the dungeons and when we reached the hill and looked for an entrance. The torch lights on its walls flickered back to life. The crescent moon carved onto the rock gleamed and the fire swished along the sun's carvings. The smoke puffed from the ground which staggered hard. The rocky entrance parted away, separating the moon and the sun. And four broad openings were created.

"I think it wants to separate us." Goma said.

"I wish I could say different, but.....Phew.....Yeah that's true." Zach sounded worried. 

"Yes of course and we have no other choice. It has almost been three days. A little more delay and.....and...we may even loose our chances........", 

"Shut the fuck up Rika, nothing's gonna happen to my Ri", Ramel shouted and stopped midway to realize he was yelling. Without a reason. 

"You haven't really changed. Have you?" I guess, his temper is as short as his memory. Old habits never change, they say.

"Rika is more important to you Keren. We will get time for this." No sooner did Zach say it, I saw him he heading towards his entrance. Following, we all went our ways inside the dark dungeons. As I kept moving forward to what looked like a long slope, the torch lights on either side of the wall kept flickering to life and the pavements rose before I could step on them, as if showing me the way. Isn't it odd? Why would it lead us to Ri, if they tried to kidnap her in the first place?

I kept on walking but the slope seemed never ending. I turned around to see how far I have walked and could see the entrance which now looked like a small light. I guess I have walked far enough. But the passage kept on going. The deeper I went, the chiller it felt. After walking along a straight path for what it seemed like 20 minutes, I stopped. I guess they are playing with us. Before I could turn back to go towards the entrance so that I could meet everyone, I saw there was a wall behind me and the entrance was now nowhere to be found. Now a little fear trickled into my heart.