CHAPTER 23: Survival

Rowl kept a straight face as he asked "Why are the creatures like this? These are not the ones that were shown to me."

The man wearing black hooded robe scoffed a little "What? Are you perhaps worried about these lab rats?" Referring his students to lab rats.

Rowl just ignored him. He knew someone from higher status messed with him which made him ticked.

"Now-now don't be so serious." The man said, draping one of his arms over Rowl's shoulder mocking him.

Rowl, for the first time since he arrived, looked at him or rather glared at him. His eyes glowing dangerously. His blue eyes looked like it would freeze you to death while the red one felt like it would burn you to death. The man let go instantly with little precipitation forming on his forehead.

"Whoa~whoa tiger. Easy there. You look like a ticking bomb. Let's see how far 'your students whom you saved' from us will live." He said in a sing-song way, clearly enjoying their misery.

"Leave." Was the only word Rowl uttered to his trash talk.

"Got it, got it." The man sighed and left.

HOWWWLLL

GRROOWWLLL

SCREEECH SCREECH!!

These were the nerve rattling cries heard throughout the forest as Rika's team and Drake forced themselves to sleep without thinking about the other teams. They hardened their hearts as they forced themselves to stop from going and helping them.

"Looks like it was killed." Kyle said after they heard it's last cry in pain.

"Yeah I wonder who got the first one. But that just means more will be on their way there." Drake said adding more logs in the fire that only they were able to create among the ten students because of Kyle.

"I hope they are alright." Kyle mumbled in deep thought as the shadows from the fire highlighted his freckles and made his hair look black like Drake.

"We don't have time for that. We'll hunt tomorrow morning. We gathered enough food today, we'll survive and get the heck Outta here." Drake fumed.

"Yeah, hunting. The thing you are best at." Kyle responded.

They slept through the night taking turns while the other kept watch for danger.

"I couldn't sleep that well, my body is all stiff." Kyle said, yawning and stretching.

"You slept like a log, you dolt. Get up, we are going hunting." Drake said, throwing the fruits that he collected, at him for breakfast.

They extinguished the fire and went to search for water and the creature they were supposed to hunt.

"We cannot survive without water so that's our first priority." Drake explained running his hand through his black hair which was now greasy with all the sweat and dust.

"I wonder if those creatures move in packs or not. I hope not. What do you think? Will they be edible?." Kyle kept talking about theories and about other things but Drake was silent. He was observing his surroundings like a predator.

As they kept on traveling towards the sun in search of water they came to a dead end. The area was blocked with high and thick bushes.

"Ugh! Now what? Do we...."

"Shhhh" Drake shushed Kyle as he listened carefully. A smile broke out on his face.

They were soon rewarded with water.