Chapter 30: Alone.

"Now what do we have here!" Rika and Akashi could hear a shrill soothing voice of a child as soon as they entered the room behind the gate. Rika hurriedly removed the piece of cloth that covered her eyes because she did not like what she was reading in Akashi's and Tristan's minds. Without a doubt, as she guessed, they were in a dark small room but it did not have any roof, to begin with. They could see the sky that was dark with no moon in it.

 Catherine was sitting beside Tristan who was held by chains against the wall, he was looking down and was unusually calm.

The thoughts that ran through Tristan's mind were not of being free from chains rather his mind was somewhere 7 years ago when he used to play alone with Catherine."Hehe! The red-eyed girl is here. Though if you had just gone the normal way you would have been with the others and the game would have been more interesting to play." Catherine pouted.

The sky was calm and clear and peaceful. 

The stars blinked at Rika but even the calmness of the sky couldn't ease the turmoil that was bubbling inside her. Her pulse was racing and all she could do was take deep breaths again and again. Her hands were shaking and it took all her strength to keep them still again.

She was afraid of Catherine but more afraid of Tristan because she couldn't feel him or his mind even though he was right before her eyes, his mind was absent.

"Hmph, I knew you would be a nuisance," Catherine said pointing at Akashi.

"I knew that if we followed the normal route we would have fallen into your trap." Akashi said in a steady voice."Lord of Mirrors. My ass. You can never be one. It's because you were born. If only you had ....if ....if ONLY YOU WERE NEVER BORN, MY MASTER WOULD HAVE BEEN ALIVE."

 Catherine ran towards Akashi screaming and pointing a knife at him with her increasing anger the sky also changed. The calmness of the sky was dissolved into a thunderstorm. Before Catherine could reach Akashi with her knife, Rika concentrated her energy to make Catherine stop in her tracks by controlling her mind through telepathy but she couldn't penetrate her mind at all. Then something strange happened: the knife from her hands flew away before she could hurt Akashi, making Catherine stop in her tracks.

"Thanks, Rika chan. That was a great throw."Rika gave a confused face.

"I think you can use telekinesis", Akashi explained to Rika who was out of breath and confused. Even though he was in danger he didn't move a step behind showing that even if Rika didn't interfere he would have handled Catherine just fine.

In the state of confusion, the thunderbolts stopped, Catherine turned and faced Rika tilting her face in amusement.

"Aha, you keep getting interesting." Catherine sang as she skipped towards Rika."Now shall we start the game?" Catherine asked as she bent over and looked up to Rika smiling. Looking as harmless as any normal kid in her cute little frock, ponytails, and beady eyes which twinkled in the dim light.

"What game? We are here to rescue Tristan and Emilia. Then we are out." Rika answered her, keeping her voice as steady as she could."Awe you don't want to play? Well I guess they can die then." Catherine said.

"What are you talking about?"

"He is so happy here. See.", she turned around smiling at Tristian who still had a blank face without any ounce of happiness. "Besides, we are childhood friends. So I'll never let you take Tristan away. I thought we all could play a game in which you would have to die. But I guess you don't want to play, so just die." Catherine explained as she moved towards Tristan.

"What have you done to Tristan kun?" Akashi asked.

"Me? No Catherine does nothing. Catherine is harmless.