TWENTY-THREE

Logan sat in the witness stand next to the judge and she looked at the audience seeing the entire 51 there and the Intelligence Unit there to support her

Logan sat in the witness stand next to the judge and she looked at the audience seeing the entire 51 there and the Intelligence Unit there to support her. Voight sat at the table with their attorney and the Judge looked at Logan.

"Welcome, detective. First, I'd like to say thank you for protecting our city, it means the world to us all." He said and Logan gave a curt nod, her bun moving slightly.

"We are here today in the trial of Logan Rayner-Voight to take custody of Amelia Rayner- Voight against Max Rayner." The judge said and Logan internally grimaced at the name and she breathed out, her hands folded over the other.

Max's lawyer, Ronald stood and walked up to the stands and spoke.

"Miss Rayner-Voight, on behalf of Max Rayner's account we're going to ask you some questions." He said and Logan gave a curt nod and the lawyer spoke.

"When you were 18 years old, Amelia was 7 correct?" The man asked and Logan nodded and spoke.

"Correct." She said and the man nodded and then crossed his hands over his chest.

"Why did you leave the state of Illinois when you were 18 and Amelia was 7?" He asked and Logan swallowed, briefly looking out into the audience and spoke.

"Well, after my mother disappeared and Max didn't want to take care of Amelia, I decided we needed a fresh start. My mother had friends in the city and Amelia and I stayed with them for a while until I could get back on my feet." Logan said and the man cleared his throat and spoke.

"Why did you return back to Chicago?" He asked and Logan breathed in and spoke.

"A new job opportunity. I was given the open spot of becoming a detective in Special Crimes down at the 31st." She said and the man nodded and he looked back at the judge and went to sit down.

As the rest of the time went on, they had brought Voight up on the stand and he explained how he found out about Amelia and how he had rights to which he never signed away. The verdict of the case was a re-trail and Voight ended up being able to stay with Amy.

Logan sat outside the courthouse on a bench and she looked out at the stairs, remembering when she was younger and she'd always hop on those stairs, while her mother sat down on the bench.

19 YEARS AGO

Logan hoped on the steps giggling, with her dark hair in pigtails. Her bright blue eyes looked around the courthouse and spoke out to her mother.

"Mom! When will Dylan get here?" She asked and Melanie looked up at her daughter and laughed.

"She'll be here later, honey! Your father had to take her to the doctors." She said and Logan hummed looking down at her feet and Melaine's phone rang.

She raised it to her ear and spoke.

"I thought I told you-" She said and then looked around and smiled to herself.

"Really, where?" She asked and then looked over at the monument that stood at the bottom of the courthouse and she saw Hank Voight standing looking at her with a smile on his face. He was watching Logan as she jumped and he spoke.

"It sucks not being able to see you guys, Justin's been asking you know." He said and Melaine sighed and looked down.

"Tell him that mommy misses him, and she'll see him very soon." She said and Voight looked at Logan and spoke.

"She's getting so big." He said and Melanie scoffed and spoke.

"And she's such a handful too, Dylan's the complete opposite. I walked in on Logan holding my gun." She exclaimed and Voight let out a laugh and spoke.

"She's gonna be a cop, I just know it." He said and Melanie scoffed and spoke.

"A firefighter, she has a crush on Benny's kid, Kelly." Melanie said and Voight laughed  as he continued to watch the girl.

Logan breathed in and Herrmann walked up to her and spoke.

"Didn't know where you went, you just disappeared on us." He said and Logan gave out a small laugh and looked down.

"You okay?" He asked sitting next to her and she nodded and spoke.

"Yeah, you?" He asked and he nodded and looked at her.

"Free drinks at Molly later, you coming?" He asked and she shrugged and spoke.

"Eh, I'm not sure, I've got some stuff I have to fill out since I'm back now." She said and he nodded and he looked out at the stairs and spoke.

"Just know, everyone at 51 has your back."He said and she nodded and he placed a comforting hand on her thigh and he stood up to leave her to her own thoughts as she tried to piece together what was going to happen next.

author's note:

sorry for such a short and sloppy filler. I had to quickly write an author's note to explain some stuff.

please understand some episodes and chapters will NOT line up, I did that on purpose so Mouse for example, will be in some chapters soon even though he wasn't fully in the show until mid season 2 of PD!