Chapter 14: Night School (Part 2)

-Call the cops. -Jackson demanded.
-No. -Was Stiles' simple answer.
-What do you mean "no"?
-I mean "no", you wanna hear it in Spanish? No! Look, Derek killed three people, okay? We don't know what he's armed with.
-Your dad is armed with an entire Sheriff's Department. Call him!!
-I'm calling. -Lydia decided.
-No, Lydia, would you just hild on for a sec-
He was cut by Allison and Jackson, who pushed him away from Lydia.
-Yes, we're at Beacon Hills High School.-She started talking. -We're trapped, and we need you too... But... She hung up on me.
-The police hung up on you? -Allison asked.
-She said they got a tip warnung them that there are gonna be prank calls about a break-in at the high school. She said if I called agaun that they're gonna trace it and have me arrested.
-Okay, then call again.
-No, they won't trace a cell. -Stiles explained. -And they'll send a car to your house before they send anyone here.
-What the... What... What is this? Why does Derek want to kill us? Why is he killing anyone?
Carolinne felt like screaming "HE ISN'T, SCOTT JUST LACKS CREATIVITY!!!", but didn't do so for obvious reasons. None of them knew what to say as an acceptabke answer to Alli's question, and after a few seconds, Scott asked:
-Why is everyone looking at me?
-Is he the one that sent her the text?
-No. I mean, I don't know.
-Is he the one that called the police?
-I don't know!
-Okay, why don't we ease back on the throttle here, yeah? -Stiles intervened. Then he pulled Scott to a corner.
-Carol, what the hell is going on here?-Lydia demanded an explanation.
-I'm just as lost as you are! -She lied. Oh, she hated lying, but it seemed like the best option in the moment.
The three looked at her, annoyed. Her two best friends and her brother, all angry at her at the same time, while an Alpha werewolf was out to kill them all, how nice.
-Okay, assheads, new plan. -Jackson announced. -Stiles calls his dad, and tells him to send someone with a gun and a decent aim. Are we good with that?
-Your sister has a very aim! -Stiles yelled, angry. -A very good aim, actually, and a bunch of knives and daggers she could just throw at him! But you don't feel like sending her out there and risking her life, do you? Well, I feel the same way about my dad.
-My sister is not the sheriff! It's not her job to do these things! It's your dad's. So call. Him. Now.
-Please don't, guys. -Carol tried. -There's no need to risk more lives here. There's one of him and 6 of us. We can try.
-Jackson's right. -Scott said, much for Carol and Stiles' surprise. -Tell him the truth if you have to, just, just call him.
Stiles stared at him in disbelief and whispered:
-I'm not watching my dead get eaten alive.
Then he looked at Carol, who mouthed "I'm sorry, I tried", to which he mouthed back "I know".
-All right, give me the phone! -Jackson lost patience and tried to get Stiles' phone. And Stiles (somehow) punched him.
Allison and Carol ran to see if he was okay. Scott glared at Stiles, who gave up and called his dad.
-Dad, hey, it's me... And it's your voicemail. Look, I need you to call me back now. Like, right now.
Suddenly, loud banging could be heard coming from the door, which the thing was violently trying to get open. They all steped away from the door, in fear that it would eventually break while Stiles kept talking.
-We're at the school, okay? We're at the school.
Once he finished talking, they seemed lost for a second until he said.
-The kitchen, the door out of the kitchen leads to the stairwell.
-Which only goes up!
-Up is better then here.
They ran upstairs and hud in the chemestry lab, where Scott blocked the doorknob with a chair.
Soon, they heard steps coming from the outside, but thankfully, it walked right past them, making thek all sigh in relief.
-Jackson, how many can people fit in your car? -Scott asked.
-Five, if someone squeezes on someone's lap.
-Five? I barely fit in the back! -Allison protested.
-There are six of us.
-It doesn't matter, there's no getting out without drawing attention. -Stiles reminded.
-What about this? -Scott pointed at a door in the corner. -This leads to the roof. We can go down the fire escape to the parking lot in like, seconds.
-That's a deadbolt. -Stiles said, poiting at the doorknob.
Scott thought for a moment and remembered:
-The janitor has a key.
-You mean his body has it.
-I can get it. I can find him by scent, by blood.
-Well, gee, that sounds like an incredibly terrible idea. What else have you got?
-I disagree. -Carol arrived. -It's risky, but it's our only chance.
-I'm getting the key. -Scott decided and started walking towards the door.
-Are you serious? -Allison asked, concerned.
-Well, it's the best plan.
-Someone has to get the key if we want to get out of here.
-You can't go out there unarmed.
They all stared blankly until Lydia announced:
-I have an idea. -She was smiling and looking at the locker full of chemicals.
-What are we gonna do, throw acid at him?- Stiles asked angrily.
-No. Like a fire bomb. In there is everything you need to make a self-igniting Molotov cocktail.
-Self igniting...?
-Molotov cocktail.
They all stared at her like she was speaking greek, except for Carol, who had the biggest smile on her face. She always hated the fact that Lydia pretended not to be smart, and seeing her show them just how amazing she was made Carolinne really proud and really happy.
-What? I read it somewhere. -Lydia lied.
-We don't have a key for that either.-Stiles reminded, but before anyone could say anyrhing, Jackson broke the locker open with his elbow, and Lydia started to work.
-Someone hand me the sulfuruc acid.
She finished and gave Scott the galss.
-No. No this is insane, you can't do this.-Allison protested. -You cannot go out there.
-We can't just sit here waiting for Stiles' dad to check his messages.
-You could die. Don't you get that?! He's killed three people.
-And we're next. Somebody has to do something.
-Scott, just stop!
-Do you remember... Do you remember when you told me you knew wether or nor I was lying? That I had a tell?
He nodde.
-So do you. -She continued. -You're a horrible liar, and you've been lying all night. Just... Just please... Please don't go. Please don't leave us. Please. -There were tears streaming down her cheeks.
Everyone stayed quiet for a few seconds, untill Scott gave her an apologetic look and said:
-Lock it behind me.
Before he could go, she pulled him to a kiss. Then they stared at each other one last time and he left.
A few minutes went by without a word being said.
-I don't get this. -Allison said. -I don't get why he's out there, why he left us. And I can't... I can't stop my hands from shaking.
-He's gonna be ok, Alli. -Carol tried to comfort her.
-How do you know that?
-Because I trust Scott. And if anyone can do this, it's him. Now look into my eyes, and repeat after me: "Scott is going to be fine".
-Scott is going to be fine. -Allison's breath was starting to get steady again.
-"He can do this."
-He can do this.
-Great, now relax. -After saying that, she pulled her friend to a hug and once she let go, Allison had calmed down a little.
Another tense minutes went by, until Lydia looked to where two glasses eith chemicals were and looked at her friends, worried.
-Hey, you handed me the sulfuric acid, right? It has to be sulfuric acid, it won't ignite if it's not.
-I gave you exactly what you asked for, didn't I?
-...Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure you did.
Not long after that, very loud growling echoed through the halls, making everyone protect their ears and Jackson bend to his knees in pain. He had his hand in the back of his neck, righr where the Alpha scratch remained unhealed, and now, for the first time in all of that mess, Carolinne was the one freaking out.
-JACKSON!
He started screaming, the pain getting more and more intense, and she knelt down next to him.
-Jackson, what's happening?! SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!
Allison and Lydia helped them get back, and he started getting better.
-No, I'm fine. Seriously, I'm ok.
-You didn't sound ok at all.
-What's on the back of you neck? -Stiles asked and raised his hand to touch it, but Jackson slapped it.
-It's the scratch. -Carol answered. -From the animal attack.
-Why does it matter, anyway? -Jackson questioned. -It's not like that has anything to do with tonight, so just forget it, ok? I don't know what happened, but I said I'm fine, and I am.
-It's been there for days, he won't tell me what happened. -Lydia complained.
-As if you actually care.
Carol sighed, frustrated. Jackson was her brother and Lydia was her best friend, she loved them, and when they first git toghether she was actually happy about it, but now it was so obvious that they were only dating because of status that it almost disgusted her. Seeing two people that she cared deeply about turn into a cliché athlete/popular girl couple that has no actual affection was very sad.
-All right, can we not argue for half a second here? -Stiles cut them.
-Where's Scott? He should be back right now.
That's when they heard a click for the door.
-Scott!
He'd locked it from the outside.
-SCOTT!
-Where's he going?
Allison kept calling Scott and trying to get the door open, but it was useless.
-Stop. -Lydia said. -STOP!
And Alli stopped.
-Do you hear that?
Everyone looked at her for a second.
-Listen!
And then they heard. Sirens. The cops were there! They ran to the window to see the cars gerting there and everyone sighed in relief.
--------------------------------------
A few moments later, they were walking out with the sheriff.
-Are you sure it was Derek Hale? -Noah asked.
Carol felt like screaming "NOOOOO!!" from the top of her lungs, but she couldn't and it made her sick.
-Yes. -Stiles replied.
-I saw him too. -Scott confirmed. -What about the janitor?
-We're still looking.
-Did you check under the bleacers? Under them?
-Yeah, Scott, we looked! We pulled them out, just like you asked. There's nothing.
-I'm not making this up.
-I know, I believe you, I do.
-No, you don't! You have this look like you feel bad for me. Like you want to believe me, but I know that you don't.
-Listen to me: we're gonna search this whole school. We're gonna find him. Ok? I promisse.
Then someone called the sheriff and he left.
-CAROLINNE!
She turned her head and saw her parents running towards her, with Jackson already by their side.
-Are you ok? Did you get hurt?
-I'm fine, mom. -She said, while hugging both of them.
-What happened? Why were you even here?
-I... -She looked at her dad, not knowing what to say. -I don't know, I came with Scott and Stiles, but I don't know what they wanted here.
-We're glad you're both okay. The Sheriff just told we're free to go home.

After she got home, she took a long shower, as if she could wash out the stress. Everything felt wrong in that moment: she'd spent the night lying to her best friends and her brother, Derek was dead, and there was a creepy human/wolf hybrid murderer out to get them all.

Once she was out, she got her book and tried to get her mind off things, but before she could start reading, she heard a knock on her bedroom door.
-Come in.
Jackson walked inside and closed the door behind him.
-What is it? -She asked.
-Lydia and Allison aren't here, neither are mom and dad. Now, start talking: what were we really doing there tonight?
-I told you, I don't know.
-Bullshit! You were never a liar, Carolinne. Tell me the truth, you know what youre friends are hiding, so spill it!
She knew she couldn't fool him. They were never good at lying to each other, not even when they were children.
-I said it once, and I'll say it again: I can't share a secret that isn't mine.
-You can, if keeping that secret puts your friends' lives at risk. We could have died tonight. All of us.
-But we didn't. I know it's hard to believe me right now, but trust me when I say it would actually be even more dangerous if you knew it.
They stared at each other for a few seconds, and he said.
-I'm going to find out on my own, Carol. Whatever the hell you've gotten yourself into, you can't keep it hidden forever.
That being said, he walked out, determined to uncover the truth. And she knew that it wouldn't be too long before he did. Jackson was just like her in situations like this: they always got what they wanted, no matter how many people tried to get in their way.
Once he left, she was once alone with her thoughts, and there was nothing for her to do other then sink in her bed and read IT and pretend for just a little while that her life was back on track.