Bonus chapter 2: I'll miss you.

Just a few days before the family summer trip, Mrs. Whittemore went to talk to Carol in her room:
-Hey Care, may I come in?
-Of course! What is it?
-It's just that you seem kind of distant. Is something wrong?

Carolinne sighed and said:
-I told Derek Hale I didn't want to be with him.
-And don't you?
-I... Don't know. I like him, but there's no way we could work.
-Why do you think that?
-Because we think too differently. We want different things and we value different thigs.
-Did you tell him that?
-Yeah, and he said that I'm a cold person and that I have too many strict limits to my own feelings. But I just don't see the point of putting energy in something that's doomed to fail.
-Care... Do you know what your paradox is?
-Uh, no. I didn't even know I had one.
-You do: you love taking risks, you're adventurous, a rulebreaker and troublemaker. But when it comes to romance, you never leave your comfort zone. He's right when he says that your limits are blocking your feelings. Do you still have those rules? Because you break everyone's rules but you never break your own.
-My rules are a part of who I am, and my "comfort zone" is what I call a healthy relationship.
-I agree that you should seek a healthy relationship, but this is not what you're doing. What you're actually looking for is a perfect relationship, and that you're not gonna find. Relationships aren't perfect because people aren't perfect, and if you can't understand that, you're never gonna meet anyone with whom you really wanna be with.

She didn't say anything, just looked at her mom and reflected those words, until Mrs. Whittemore cut the silence:
-Now, Care, you can either stare at the ceiling and think about that or spend your time watching TV with me. So, which is it gonna be: The Vampire Diaries or Downton Abbey? -She smiled at her daughter, who smiled back.
-Downton Abbey. No better therapy than watching Lady Mary Crawley being a queen.
-Oh, I hate Lady Mary!
-I love her! She's my favorite character.
-She's a bitch.
-Exactly. She is a Mythic Bitch. I can relate.
-Come on, you're not a bitch.
-I know some people who might disagree.

------------------------

They spent the summer in Europe, and it was the one of the best summers of her life, because she loved Europe and because after the whole Kanima thing Jackson had grown into a truly better person. He looked genuinely happy for the first time in a long while, he was actually enjoying the trip, and seeing him like that made her so proud that she couldn't put it into words.

But nothing lasts forever, and summer came to an end. It was especially painfull, because this time, they weren't just leavimg London, they were leaving Jackson as well. Their parents had decided it would be good for him to start over somewhere else, and he was finishing Junior and Senior year in London. Carol knew it was for the best, but even if she knew that, it didn't hurt any less when their last day toghether ended.
-I'm gonna miss you so much. -She said when they were at the airport.
-I'm gonna miss you too, Care. Well, I'm not gonna miss you teasing me for having a tail, but I'll miss everything else.
-Oh, shut up! -She laughed. -Your tail is funny, but it's also very useful.
-Yeah, it kind of is.
-I'm gonna call you every week. More than once a week.
-Please, do so.
-I mean it!
-Me too!
-I'm so happy you're happy again. But if you don't pick up mu calls, I'll come all the way here and kill you.
-I will pick up your calls. You can't get rid of me that easily.
-You'd better. The house will be so empty without you.
-At least you're not gonna live alone.
-I am in two years. Wait for me, New York!
-Columbia will be lucky to have you.
-And London is lucky to have you. Take care, Jackson.
-You too. I'll be there in spring break.
-You're coming to Florida with us, right?
-Yes.
-Yayy!!
-Guys, we have to go. -David called them. Both of their parents had already said goodbye to Jackson and were waiting for Carolinne.
-I'm coming. -She said. -Bye, Jackson. I love you so much.
She hugged him one last time and started to walk away when he said:
-Me too.
She turned to him abruptly, not believing her own years:
-What?
-I love you too, Carolinne.

She gave up on fighting back the tears and jumped in his arms, happier than she'd ever been, because after 11 years he had looked in her eyes and told her that he loved her.
-Is this gonna become a habit? -She asked full of hope, face red.
-Yes, because it's true. I love you.
-I love you more than anyone and anything.
-Me too.

They finally let go of each other and he left. She spent the rest of the day happy, feeling like a weight that she didn't even know she was carrying had been lifted of her shoulders. Because with all of his flaws, Jackson was her favorite person in the whole world, and after so many years he had finally told her that she was his, too. She'd thought she'd never hear those three words coming out of his mouth again, but they did. She had a feelimg things were going to be different now, and that feeling warmed her heart. After all, Carolinne Jane Whittemore was indeed a cold person, but not when it came to her beloved brother.