Chapter 16: Butterfly Effect, Guilt, and Appologies.

She was the last person to see Derek before he disappeared; literally, just took off and went M.I.A. It had been two days, and Carolinne was currently at the loft with Alice, Stiles, and Cora, trying to decide what step to take next. Cora was telling them about a time when Peter and Derek were being chased by hunters and stayed hidden in a bunker.
-They were there for two days, waiting, hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us: hide and heal.
-Ok, so is two days standard then? Or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway? -Stiles asked.
-Isn't the "heal" in this about physical wounds? -Alice raised a brow.
-They teach you to hide instead of fight back? -Carol questioned.

Cora, who'd been staring blankly at the window, turned arround and kept switching her gaze between Carolinne and Alice for a few instants thinking weather or not to say anything about their observations.
-Why do you care? -She focused on Stiles, deciding she didn't feel like answering questions about her family's traditions.
-Why do I care? Let's see: because over the last few weeks my best friend's tried to kill himself, his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed, a girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed, Boyd was killed by Alphas. You want me to keep going? 'Cause I can,all right? For like, an hour!
-And Erica. We lost Erica. -Carol added as she felt a sting of pain thinking of Heather and the Beta.
-And Doctor Hilyarad, Ashley's boyfriend, that chemestry teacher who was a pain in the ass... -Alice added a few more to the list.
-You guys think Derek can do anything about that? -Cora got annoyed.
-Well, he should. He's the Alpha, that's his job, isn't isn't it?? -Alice crossed her arms.
-Yeah, and since like he's the one everyone seems to be after, it really is more like he should do something about it. -Stilea agreed.
-It's not his fault that people are after him. -Carol said.

The huntress looked at her suspiciously, knowing that there was some storie behind Carolinne's change of behavior towards Derek.
-There's something different about him now. -Cora stated. -He wasn't like this when I knew him.
-What was he like? -Stiles asked.
-A lot like Scott, actually. -They heard Peter's voice as the man walked down the spiral staircase. -A lot like most teenagers: unbearably romantic, profoundly narcisistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers.
-You're not a teenager, but you are profoundly narcisistic and I can't think of anyone who really tolerates you. -Alice observed, earning a glare which she responded with a shrug.
-And so what happened? What changed him? -Stiles questioned.
-Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men. A girl. -All girls in the room scoffed at that.
-You're telling him some girl broke his little heart?! That's why Derek is the way he is?!
-Do you remember Derek before he was an Alpha had blue eyes? Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?
-Oh God... -Alice shook her head in disbelief. As a huntress, she knew where that meant.
-I just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing. -Stiles said.
-If you wanna know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes. It all started when he was a sophmore and met a sweet cello player named Paige.
-Paige... Krasikeva? -Carol's eyes widened. She didn't know how this story went, but she knew how it ended.
-Precisely. She was trying to practice but Derek and his friends were playing basketball in the hallway, so she complained. And he started flirting with her, because, well, teenage boys.
-Ok, so if Derek was a sophmore back then, how old was he? How old were you? -Stiles askes. -How old are you now?
-Not as young as we could have been, but not as old as you might think.
-Ok, that was frustratingly vague. How old are you? -He tried Cora.
-I'm 17.
-See, that's an answer, that's how we answer people.
-Well, 17 how you'd measure in years.
-All right, I'm just gonna drop it. What happened to Derek and the cello girl?
-What do you think happened? They're teenagers; one minute it's "I hate you, don't talk to me", the next it's frantic groping in any dark corner they can manage to find themselves alone in for five minutes. Their favorite dark corner was an abandoned distillary outside of Beacon Hills.
-All right, hold up. How do you know all this? -Stiles questioned. -You just said that they were alone.
-Back then I wasn't just Derek's uncle. I was his best friend, his closest confidend,  that's how I know.
-And...? -Carol raised a brow, knowing that there was more.
-...And I spied on them. Once.
-Creep.