The Push (Volume Three).

It seems the time I am spending with my party has come to an end, it was nice that I could spend even a little of it with them... Duty, calls... Taking my bag with me as I prepared to leave the Mansion, I came face-to-face with Chip. Setting my right palm on his head, I ruffled his hair.

(Y/n): "I'll be going now! Take care of my party, alright."

As my hand left his head, I headed for the door only to notice that Chip was in front of it... The speed of his improvement is increasing drastically; what could be the cause of that, I wonder. The kid had a steadfast gaze. I did not like this look one bit; this can only go two ways...

(Y/n): "I know you're going to miss me. However, you should know that you are not officially a member of the Guild, which means you are a citizen with minor abilities. So, for now, let me take care of things and finish the job quickly so I can come back, and we can celebrate another success."

Chip: "Let me tag along. I have to; the place you are fighting to get back is my home. So, if anyone has any right to getting back what was stolen from us, it will have to be the others and I who were pushed out from our Kingdom. So, if you are afraid that I can't handle it, then be at ease; I can handle myself; this is what you've been training me up for! Please, Master."

I gazed at the defiant boy. Finally, letting out a sigh of restlessness. I walked towards the boy as his face started brightening up...

(Y/n): "No, you will not accompany me. You are too naive; you don't understand what comes with accompanying the reclamation army. As well as being overconfident in the abilities that you have recently acquired not mastering them and understanding their limits will lead to an imminent downfall that will either result in your early retirement or death."

Chip clutched his hands once I pointed out that he was still too green to join the field of battle I was in.

Chip: "That's not fair! You always tell me to stand back and watch from a distance. If I stay like that forever, I will never be able to do a single thing! What about you, Master! I wish to grow stronger, so I can get back at the things that stripped me of everything! You were like me, Master, you were overconfident in your abilities! Kazuma and the rest told me about your encounter with the Dullahan and many enemies you've always left yourself open for surprise attacks!"

A few moments of silence ensued after Chip recent outburst.

(Y/n): "You... are correct. I was arrogant; I headed into battle by myself. I believed that I was invulnerable. Which is true; I cannot be beaten; however,... your enemies don't need to kill you to make you taste defeat... There are many ways you can taste defeat and even more ways to make you seek vengeance, but is that what our enemies seek? Is that what they want us to do? Or is there something more they want?"

Chip: "What do you mean?"

(Y/n): "Our enemies are numerous, Chip. Victory against an enemy in battle can feel great, however at what cost was that victory achieved? At the death of your people? At the martyring of your fellow adventurers? Even worse, did you lose something along the way? Your heart? The morals you hold. Even the things that you prize the most... If that is so, you may have won the war, but you lost yourself or something in the midst of it.

Chip: "You told me that it is impossible to win without giving something up. Then what was it that changed you?"

(Y/n): "What changed me... I felt actual defeat. I lost people I held dear to my heart because of that, I had changed, for better or worse. I no longer fight by myself, leaving my friends in a pinch when they need me. I will always fight with them by my side; that way, I can protect everything I hold dear to me. That includes you, Chip. You are right, sacrifice is necessary for victory, but I tried to find a way to win without losing; I know it sounds naive. What I'm about to say may sound selfish, but I want you to achieve what I could not, no matter how impossible it is."