Unwaning Resolve (Volume Three).

Before we begin I want to say that if there were any mistakes I am sorry, I feel very tired after writing this chapter and I hope you enjoy it. Please do point out the mistakes as I am sure there are numerous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The battle against the army upon the hill was long and hard-fought; our army had yet to recover from the last battle. However, we had no time to delay; either we found an impenetrable place or continued on our march, and the latter did not seem convincing; as we headed even deeper into the monster-infested country, we came across a stronghold. This stronghold was nothing remarkable other than being in good shape, plus it would make for an excellent place to recuperate our men before heading even deeper. Nevertheless, looking back at the soldiers, they were either injured or in mourning over their dead friends; this is most troublesome. I cannot lead an army whose spirit was broken... They need to rest, and this place is the best we got; we will only need to defend ourselves from two points rather than everywhere we look. Returning my attention to the fortress, I would have liked one that was situated against a mountain; there, we would have only needed to defend one point of entry, making our job much more straightforward, but also it would mean that we would also be trapped if the enemies were stationed outside. We would be under fire all the time, having no time to protect ourselves, but they can also do something even worse; they can make us burn through our supplies and then attack when we are weakened or just let us die from starvation. This does not mean that it can only happen in strongholds situated against the mountains. This can happen to this one too. As I held my hand up and balled it up, the sound of movement ceased; looking at the people who followed me, I spoke up.

(Y/n): "We will use this hold to rest up and fully recover before heading onwards, so familiarise yourselves with it and prepare defences if we are ever under attack and in need of defending this place."

Many of my men went past me and entered the stronghold as I said this. Little by little, their numbers dwindled until I entered with the final patch of men into the fortress. This place did not reek of any smell... As if it was in use up till recently, something that had put me on edge. Looking at the area I entered, I saw some of our injured rest on the ground as they drank water. Others entered the four watchtowers erected in the corners, keeping watch if we were attacked anytime soon. Walking around the place, noticing things that had not come to my attention; this place had retractable bridges, and a moat surrounded the place. Useless, I thought, regarding the moat as the enemy has mages who can easily bridge across by filling this little canal up with earth. This place was perhaps made in mind to defend the inner sanctum of the fortress, and then this place must have belonged to someone influential. They either used it to protect something or someone from being harmed, yet it does not make sense how this place seems empty yet in relatively good shape and tidy. The person who owned it had to be from the upper echelon; as I was lost in my thought, I passed through the long halls of the fortress, making my way to the next room, which was the great hall. It seemed to be pretty extravagant, and some of the adventurers had already settled in, eating and talking to each other, and some were minding their own business, as the rest were merely silent as they seemed sorrowful.

Leaving them to their devices, I headed deeper into this place until I happened to a place where they seemed to store books; this must be their study. Walking around until I came closer to a scribe's table, once I neared, I read the content laid on it. It seems to be addressed to...