15 - Rome

- parental abuse

- George

A lot happened last night.

I figured out I'm to be married within the next two years.

To a woman I don't even know, to a woman I don't want to know.

And then I went on to make out with the boy I've been indenial about liking.

And thats just made everything worse, because, I mean, I'm getting married.

And now I've set myself, and Dream, up for failure.

How could I do this to him?

How selfish am I?

Kissing him and telling him I like him like that when I know theres no chance that will work out. Not with dad trying to shove me into marriages left right and centre.

Marriages that only benefit him, and his work. The girls father owns a buisness, nearly as big as ours, if not bigger. Didn't take long for me to put two and two together.

I mean, what does he think I am? Some sort of doll to dress up and throw around when it suits him? No, I won't have it. I won't

***

"This is really great, Audrey" Quackity announces from beside me, finishing off what I think is his third fried egg.

Sapnap nods along happily, toast in his mouth.

Dreams foot knocks against mine as he agrees.

"Oh thank you, boys, it was nothing" my mother smiles from the sink.

She's washing up pans. "What do you think you's will get up to toda-"

"Good morning, everybody."

My mother and Dream are the only ones who keep moving.

Sapnap turns around in his chair, Quackity looks up from his plate, and I stop trying to annoy Dream under the table by kicking him in the shins.

"Good morning, Frank" my mother calls from the sink.

Before anyone else can speak up, or say good morning-

"I'd love to stay and eat, but I have places to be" he calls, already out of my view.

"I know" my mother responds, her voice coming out a little colder then I'd expected.

Thats it? Is that really all he has to say?

No more words are exchanged between any of us. Apart from when my father gets to the door.

"I'll see you later, boys."

All three of my friends look up, startled. They exchange looks.

"Bye" Sapnap and Quackity call from the table.

Dream continues chewing.

I hear the door slam.

I push out my chair.

My mother turns, looking at me sharply, as if to say 'don't.'

"Excuse me" I breathe, getting up from the table.

Its only now that Dream stops chewing.

I open the door, and slam it behind me. Father doesn't even look up from the boot of the car, like he knew I'd follow after him.

I jump down the steps, and stand in the middle of the drive.

"So thats it then?" I shout.

He shuts the boot, and turns to face me.