11. The Calm Before The Storm

"So when are you going?" it's already dark outside while we walk through the streets with Frida. It is freezing and my hands are deep down in my pockets. It's get more present that the spring is not quite here yet. My hair flies around my head like crazy because of the strong english wind. Mason already got his hood up so I decided to follow his example. The sound of the wind in my ears gets quieter and a comfortable warmth start to surround my ears.
It is unusual quiet. It seems nobody wants to go outside in this weather. More likely they having a movie night or are already asleep. But there we are. But out of us three only one is enjoying the walk. The little pudel is running ahead of us with her tail waving like crazy. Sniffing there running to the other side to mark her territory. The past few days we spend so much time together. I am basically at his house all the time. When he is at training I meet other friends having a good time but I am glad to get back to his house later. I learned so much about myself und him. We get along very well having good conversations and good laughs. But something changed.  Maybe it's just in my mind but since we decided not to rush things we didn't make a step further. We definitely did as friends but not more. I really hope it's just a thing in my head that happens when I overthink. But it is on my mind and influences on my mood. On the other hand when I look at him this thought always disappears.
"Tomorrow around midday. So I can be there on Friday." I am excited to go to Monaco. It is the first trip since the last race when Mick won the F2. In memories of that my eyes start sparkling again. I miss my best friend, I miss talking to him. He is not much off a texter or doesn't even like to have a phone conversation. He is more of a personal guy. And that's why we have so many things to catch up on when we see each other. His life is crazy and fast and mine was quite eventful since we saw each other. So our conversation will definitely be interesting. But more excitingly I am to see him in real life the first time in an actual formula one car. Yes I saw him drive his dad's old one but this one is his. Even it is pretty much shit as it pointed out over the last few months. But it will not stop me from cheering for him. He is still learning and he will step into his father's step. I know it.
"Anna?" I look up. I was deep in my thoughts. Mason looks at me with a chuckle "I asked if you want to go home or stay at yours for tonight" "Sorry. I was lost there for a second. I will come with you." He nods. "Can I ask you something?" "Sure" We stopped walking. "Did you ever loved someone before?" I take a deep breath avoiding his eyes. That's a topic I rather talk about after a few glasses of wine. "I think so" I stumble surprised by my own honesty. "I did too. Chloe was the first one I ever loved." he looks down at his feet. A general look of sadness overcomes his face. I step closer to him making him look up. "What happened?" I whisper. The wind is getting stronger and blows my hood down from my head. Now that my hair is exposed it is going crazy again. His armes move behind me and gentle sliding the hood back where it belongs to protect my ears and face from the cold wind."I still don't know. It just disappeared. We still got along so well. Barely fought but we just fell out of love." "This is sad" I mumble. It hurt to see him sad. "What about you" our eyes meet again. A little smile approaches my face at the thought of him. "He just disappeared out of my life" The overwhelming feeling of pain takes over my body. I can't believe I still feel like this after so many months. The tears in my eyes are burning as I try as hard as I can to hold them back.
He comes closer and closes his arm around my head. I am shielded by his arms and chest from the cold. Not allowing my self to let go, I fight with myself to get control over my body. We stand there quiet long. I take deep breaths and the sence of his cologne fills my nose. There is gap between his armed where I get fresh air from. I  open my eyes, this time mostly in control of my feelings again when a flash appears and lightens up the night. I look up at Mason confused.  There was no thunder and the weather report didn't even broadcasted a thunderstorm. And by Masons face it didn't seemed to be a thunder that just happened. His mine turn cold and he pulls my hood more into my face. "We should head back" he says pulling his even more into his face. "What's going on?" I m confused by all that. His chin has sharpened, it seems to be made out of stone. I have the need to touch it or feel his muscle relief. But Mason is desperate to leave. The brit calls his dog closer to us and takes my hand while start walking again. This time with quiet some pace. I see a flash again and raise my other hand to cover my eyes. "Mason", I slowly realize what that flash is. "It's a paparazzi" he mumbles and confirms my thought. While we  continue walking with our heads down another flash appears. I just hear him grunting. I can't see his face which is hidden by his hood but his body looks tense. His fingers are locked with mine giving me the strength to not just stand still in disbelieve. I mean yes he is a football player but he is not freaking Harry Styles. Why is a paparazzi following us in the middle of the night. This is scary.
We cross the street with Frida. And disappear around a corner. Then around another one. We are actually running from this guy. I need to actually start jogging next to Mason with his way longer legs. Eventually we end up in front of his house. He quickly gets the key out opens the door and us three rush inside. While Frida is heading to the fresh water I stand there put of breath and in disbelief. "What the fuck" that's all I can say while sliding back my hood and looking at Mason. He turns around with a serious look on the face. "You should put your Instagram on privat. Tomorrow the public probably will know that you are hanging out with me." He looks devastated. "I am sorry Anna. I should've been more careful." He walks into the livingroom. "Don't worry Mason. It's not your fault." "Yes it is. We shouldn't run around without paying attention who is around us" "Mason I don't want to hide that we are spending time. I don't care what they say." I sit down next to him on the couch "honestly, I don't mind. Yes I am beyond surprised that it happend in the middle of the street. But I am kinda used to it. I hang out with a guy with a very famous last name very often." "You hang out with Mick" "I do. So don't worry. I will be fine" my hand wanders to his cheek. He is cute when he wants to protect me.

"Make it stop" I turn around my hand trying to find Mason next to me still with my eyes closed. My fingertips touching his shoulders. "Mason" I mumble again. "Make it stop" I softly shake his shoulder. Haaaands touching hands. Reaching ouuut "Mason" I start shaking him with more force. Sweet Caroline still fills the room. "Hmm" is all I can hear from his side. "Someone is calling you" I whisper turning back around trying to go back to sleep. Sweeet the song finally stops. I sight in relief letting my body slowly get back to sleep. But I hear Mason next to me on the phone "What's up" Pause. "Oh damn it. Hold on" He sounds way more awake now. The blanket is moving as he is getting out of bed. I finally open my eyes concerned by his tone of voice. He sounds stressed. I lift my head seeing him slipping out of the bedroom. My eyes wander to the clock next to the bed. 7 am. God damn early for a Thursday. I want to go back to sleep but seeing my phonescreen lighting up over and over again. I raise my eyebrows. What the heck is going on. The decision is made when a call comes in. It's Laurie. I pick up, she gives me no chance to even say hello.

L:So it's official? You too are dating?!

Her voice overlaps in excitement.

A: ehm
L: You know what.. it was time. But you could've told me.
A: Laurie.. I..
L: Ah you two are so cute together. Now we can go on double dates!!

Slowely but steady I start to imagine what she had seen that she was saying these things.

A: Can I speak?

I wait till she finished talking. And gave me the go.

A: We are not dating. Not officially. We decided not to rush things. And..
L: Bullshit. Why would you make it public then. These photos say more then anything.
A: Well we didn't decided that.. these were made.

I look up as Mason slips in again. He has a smile on his voice, it's not honest. I can tell. He mouth me a "We need to talk" I nod in agreement, before he heads back out again.

I didn't payed very much attention to the next sentences of my friend.

A: I am sorry Laurie. I need to go.
L: Oh okay love. Call me later okay?
A: Sure thing. Love you
L:Love you too.

I hang up. So the pictures did get dropped. Oh boy. Let's hope it's not that bad. I push the blanket away from me walking down the stairs to find Mason in the livingroom. "Hey" I say sitting down in front of him. He looks not happy at all. "How bad is it?"

"The picture are all over the internet and in the press. My manager expects that the Fans will catch up in a few hours. They will try to figure out who you are" He grabs his tablet and shows my some headlines .

Mason Mount in Love, Who is Mason Mounts new girlfriend?, Cuddly and absolutely cute: Mason Mount in Love, Chelseas Player Mason Mount spotted with unknown beauty

I swipe through the headlines. Ridiculous. The pictures show his face but not mine. Being all covered by his armes and the hood or my fingers. I did some good work there. "Could be worse", I say handing it back. "Wait till they find out" he mumbles and leans back his head with a sigh. He rubs his eyes "I hate this side of my job"