36. Inked Skin

"So?" I muffle through the crossaint in my mouth. A few crumbs flake off my favorite thing to eat for breakfast and land on the white sheets off my blanket. Quickly I brush them away, hating the idea of making this perfect white shade dirty or greasy. Still not getting an answer I look at my company. Mick sits on the edge of my bed with crossed legs in a huge jumper with his hood over his hair and stairs into the air. I can see his brain working on top speed right now as his pupils are abnormal wide and his forehead in creases. Between us is a huge tray filled with food, a little tradition that we implemented in out life's over the last years. A breakfast, just us two alone, for at least an hour on our birthdays. Wherever we were in the world, we would find a way to have breakfast together. So he woke me up in the morning hammering against the hoteldoor. When I finally opened it up for him with rubbing away the sleep out of my eyes, he let out a "thank goodness, I thought you were dead" then he pulled me in a hug to congratulate me on my birthday. Very overwhelmed by this bundle of emotions so early in the day I just let it happen. It appears that he tried to wake me up by calling and knocking at the door for quite some time, he also nearly ran down to the reception to let them open the door. After his heart rate went down again he rolls in a whole large breakfast. It doesn't take long before I tell him about the conversation that I had with Lando. After finishing he is awfully quite and stairs into the air for more than a minute. "Mick?" at my slight touch of his elbow he comes back alive from his trance he was in. "I honestly don't think it's a good idea, Anna." he speaks his mind as his blue eyes find a way to stare into my soul. "Why? " I try not to get too defensive about it, but I can't help myself his opinion has too much weight for me. I hoped he would be happy or at least support my decision. "If it's working out, you could just be second best and that's not you. And if it doesn't work out between yourself and Lando .. I don't want to even think about it." His hand wanders to my knee and lays there in silent comfort. I take a huge sip of my hot chocolate looking him into his eyes while thinking about what he just brought up. I appreciate that he is honest and upfront with his thoughts. But this time I want to proof him wrong. I want it to turn out good. Doubting is not an option here, that's clear. "I don't have an option. I never felt for anyone the things I feel for him." Mick shrugs his shoulders as a sign of giving up. It's impossible to argue with me in these kinda cases and he knows it damn well. "I am just saying. You are you and you deserve all the happiness. Lando is obviously a great guy and if you want to go for it, do so. Just be careful please Anna" his puppyeyes meet mine and my hand finds his on my knee. "I will" He nods "Good. Now I need to catch a flight" Mick just lifted his body up from my bed when someone knocks at the door. "I will get it" he winks and disappear in the hallway. I hear mumbling and not soon later another formula one driver stands in my room. This time it's a new recrowned winner. "Good morning shorty. Sober again?" he grins. His shorts match his shirt in a cute minttone and his smile seems even bigger than yesterday. "And how much exactly did you drink last night?" Mick raises an eyebrow at me. There he is again, the protective brother that looks at me with a little disappointment but also a forgiving grin. "Enough" I take another sip from my hot chocolate while Daniel burst out into laughter. I pull the blanket closer to my body and a strawberry finds its way into my mouth. "Right whatever. I need to go." Mick comes around the bed and leans down to me to press a kiss on my temple. "Enjoy your birthday and I will see you in two weeks. Your gift is waiting at home for you." "I said no gifts Mick" upset about him not listening to my wishes I glance at him. "She is all yours mate. Take care. Have a beautiful day." Mick blows me another kiss, gives Daniel a slap against his shoulder and then winks us a goodbye before leaving the room. "Miiick" I sight, but the door already has been falling back into the lock. My body throws itself back into the pillows in frustration. He did so much in my life, I hate him giving me even more again. "I have a couple of gifts for you as well?" I hear the smirking Australien close to me. Did he just say a couple? "Daniiiieel" I moan out even more frustrated and put a pillow over my face.