23. When Worlds Collied

I take Masons hand and step out of the vehicle. The sound of the engines fill the air. I am happy to show him my world for once. It's been a few difficult days since the final. He was so depressed that it was hard for me to make him smile. I missed his gorgeous smile. But with every hour we spend together his old him got back. He is not back completely but I don't expect that from him. It was a huge downer for him. We agreed that coming to Silverstone would be a great opportunity to finally get out again. After staying at home for so long my body screams in joy to be back. Mason didn't want to be there for the race itself because obviously press and that would be here and he wasn't ready. But he is here for Qualiday which was also very nice. And even better it was, that we are staying in a hotel quite close from which we have less of a way to the airport when we will go on holiday with his mates on Monday. We both really look forward to it. But before that it's time for the Silverstone race.
The cameras flash at us when we walk over to the gates. When we slip in Mason stops walking. He takes a good look around. "Men it's loud here"I laugh." Not as loud as in the stadium" "I doubt it" he smiles down at me. My stomach is filled with butterflies and my heart fastens up. I give him a little peck on his arm. "Should we grab something to eat or drink before we go to see Mick?" I ask while rushing through my thick hair. It was lose around my face flying in the slight wind. It's unusual warm in England but my skin welcomes every bit of sunshine it can get. "No I am alright. Do you want to see Mick now? " I nod and guide him through the paddock. I don't see anyone that I know which is strange. Normaly I would bump into at least one or two of the driver's. I give Mason a look while we walk towards Haas. His face is mostly covered with the mask and sunglasses. The last bit covers the shadow of his cap. He doesn't want to be spotted too much. It should be a retreat today and not a public appearance for him. I greet a few people at garage with a huge smile while holding on to Masons hand. He stays closely to me. "Mick" I tip on the blondes shoulder. When my best friend turns around his blue eyes sparkle as always. Since France we facetimed daily. It's just like we needed this experience of me working in his environment again so we could connect on an even deeper level. When I look at him I see my brother now. Suddenly the nervousness overcomes me. Its important these two get along well. "Hello Anna" he smiles politely and gives me a short hug before turning towards Mason. "Hey men. Cool you could make it." "Sure mate. Thanks for the invite." They shake hands. I lean against a near wall and watch them get to know each other better. My eyes lay on the two most important men in my life. They talk and talk while I look around. It's busy like always. Outside the garage I see a cameracrew with a moderator. They film right into the garage while talking. It's my old employer: Sky. I smile at the memories this experience brought with me. I didn't know a thing about cars or racing before I started the internship. But know this is so normal and part of my world. It brought so many good things with it. I would love to start actually work around formula one, but the connection with Mick would be a problem. But it's fine. He is my priority. I step behind Mason and hug him. This is not only how I block the cameras from catching him and his attention but also of getting closer to him again. The feeling I missed during the euros. My head rests on his back while his hands lay on mine on his stomach. I feel the vibration under me when he is talking. With my eyes closed I listen. "Anna?" "Hm?" I look over Masons shoulder to Mick who chuckles at me. I don't know what he is thinking but I know he is absolutely fine with whatever it's going on. "I just told Mason how we first met. But I can't remember which track it was" "Ehm.. Belgium wasn't it?" I reply. It's a special track. Not only dangerous as fuck but also the first time I did an interview on my own and the first time Mick and I connected. "Ohh yes" he remembers and laughs. An engineer comes up to him and whispers something in his ear. Mick nods and his face changes. He is in driversmode. "Sorry guys F3 is about to start soon. I need to go. Have fun. And lovely to meet you Mate" he says. I know my place for this kind of moment. Normally it would be outside somewhere till the session would start then it would be at the back of the garage watching every move Mick makes on the huge screen. But today it's different. I will not take Mason where are plenty of eyes are. "Bye dude. Good luck" Mason smiles and was ready to go. I pull Mick in a hug. "Good luck champ." I also press a kiss on his cheek. He smiles and rubes my back before he disappears in the back of the garage. With Mason close to me I walk into the facility. It's time for some food.