4| No Two Blondes

"You're blocking my sun."

I looked over my shoulder. "I didn't see your name on it."

"Funny," Harper drawled. "Seriously, Nate, get out of the way or I will move you."

I snickered and, ignoring Harper, turned back to face the ocean. I was so ready for this. Sun, fun, and ladies. That was the whole point of me tagging along on these trips. Treasure Island was where tourists came for summer vacation. And that meant that there was a different buffet of girls each time.

And I loved buffets.

When I glanced to the left, a pair of blondes caught my eye. They were walking in the surf, wearing barely-there bikinis as they laughed and talked back and forth. I rubbed my hands together and wet my lips with my tongue. Every pickup line I've ever used raced through my mind as I stared at them.

Which one should I use this time?

Just as I went to take a step towards them, I was hit on the back head with a football.

"What the hell!" I turned around with a frown. "What's your problem, Harper?"

"I warned you to move, Jenkins. It wasn't my fault you didn't listen."

"So you hit me?"

Harper shrugged. "I didn't hit you. The football did."

"Whatever," I mumbled and walked over to the blanket the girls had spread out when we first came down to the beach. "How's this?" I asked, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "Better?"

She turned her head and smiled. "Much better."

I've known Harper Lewis pretty much my whole life-and one thing everybody knew about her was the fact that she didn't take any crap. She had no filter and wasn't afraid to tell you like it was. And clearly she would even hit guys with footballs if they blocked her sun.

I sat down in one of the beach chairs we had set up and opened the large blue cooler. Reaching inside, I pulled out a Coke. I opened it and sighed when I took a few gulps. Damn this was good. Cold soda on a hot day.

"Pass me one."

I kept my eyes straight ahead. "Nope. You want one? Come and get it yourself."

"Come on," Harper begged. "Please? It's the least you can do."

This girl was out of her mind. Completely certifiable.

"The least I can do? Really? You hit me!"

"Because you were blocking my sun!"

I shook my head. "I will never understand you women."

I looked back at the two blondes. They stopped walking and were now in the water. This was my chance. I just needed to go in there, put on the charm, and then I would be in there. Totally in there. And there were two of them.

Hell yeah.

I guzzled the rest of my soda before discarding the can in an empty grocery bag. Just as I went to stand up, something hit me again. This time in the back.

I turned and looked down at the frisbee laying on the sand behind me before I arched a brow at Harper. "A frisbee? Really?"

"What did you expect? You're being an ass."

"Like I said, I'll never understand you women."

"From your lips to God's ears," she muttered.

"What was that?" I heard what she said. I just wanted her to repeat it while I thought of something to say back to her. Something that would piss her off the same way she was pissing me off.