29| One Chance

Don't look at her. Don't look at her. Do NOT look at her.

I couldn't help it. I looked at her.

Karma was over at the ring toss game, throwing and missing each time. When we ran into each other at the cotton candy stand, I was just as surprised as she was. I had no idea she was going to be here. Lanie never mentioned they were coming. Probably because I always cringed and said no when she invited me.

But here I was. And here Karma was—looking all beautiful and ready to turn down my invitation for a date.

What did I have to do to prove to her that I wasn't going to treat her like those other girls I dated? To be honest, I was a little offended she wasn't giving me a chance to do just that.

Just one. Fucking. Chance.

There was a part of me that told me I should just give up and forget about whatever I was feeling for her. Then there was a different part of me, the part that couldn't think about anything but her, that told me to fight for her.

But how? I thought as I watched Karma miss again when she tried to throw a ring around a bottle. She looked up at one of the black teddy bears that was hanging with the other prizes before pulling out more money from her wallet and handing it to the vendor.

An idea of how I could possibly convince her to go on a date with me suddenly came to mind. Taking a deep breath, I walked over to her.

"What are you doing? Trying to win that stuffed teddy bear?"

Karma kept her eyes on the ring toss game. "Yes."

I leaned against the post and crossed my arms over my chest. "Which one are you trying to win?"

Instead of answering me, she continued to throw the rings. And kept missing. I tried not to notice the way the yellow tank top she had on rode up as she leaned forward every time to throw them. I tried not to let my gaze run over her long legs. Why the fuck was she wearing shorts that short? Why the fuck did I care again?

Okay, maybe I did know. Here's a recap...

Everything changed over the past couple months. Ever since that beach trip to Florida with my family. I never used to see Karma this way. She's never been anything more than my little sister's best friend.

Now I saw her as this beautiful, tempting siren that consumed my thoughts and my dreams. I used to try to hook up with every hot girl that crossed my path. Now I wanted to know everything about Karma Fitzgerald. After what happened at the beach, I was hoping for more. For once, I wanted more.

"Shit," she breathed when she ran out of rings. She opened her wallet and frowned when she saw she was also out of cash.

Feeling kinda romantic—and a little desperate—I pulled out a ten-dollar bill and got another bucket of rings.

"What are you doing, Nathan?" Her tone was one I was familiar with. Annoyed and short. When I took her spot to throw the rings, she stepped aside, crossed her arms and started tapping her foot.

I could barely hide my smile as I pointed to her Converse covered foot. "Is that supposed to scare me?"

"Yes. I know what you're doing and it's not going to work."

I arched a brow. "Really? What am I doing?

She didn't answer me. She was either too nervous or embarrassed to say it. Or too pissed. Simple enough, I was trying to get her to go out with me. Again.

"How about this," I pointed to the teddy bear, "I win you that black teddy bear, you go on a date with me."

"Why would I do that?"