30| Champagne and Red Carpets

I tapped the steering wheel of my jeep repeatedly. Then I adjusted the mirror. And another time. Brushed off the passenger seat, making sure it was as clean as possible. Checked my hair in the rearview for the third time.

Everything was perfect. Abso-fucking-lutely perfect. It was finally Saturday. My one chance with Karma. Perhaps my only chance to prove to her that I could be the guy she wanted and deserved.

Fuck, I was crazy about her. Hours before I left my house, I stood in front of my closet, trying to figure out what to where tonight. That wasn't something I've ever done before. Hell, it wasn't something that guys did in general.

And I was nervous. I honestly felt like I was growing to throw up. What if I blew it tonight? What if this whole date thing I had planned wasn't good enough for her? When she asked me what I had planned, I told her I wanted to take her to dinner. But when I thought about it, taking her to dinner just felt so...cliche. I wanted to do something special for her.

The sudden sound of tires over gravel interrupted my thoughts. Glancing to the right, I saw Karma's car pulling into the parking lot of Tony's Bistro. It was a little Italian place that I've eaten at with my family. Karma said she liked the place too when I told her where to meet me. Little did she know, I had other plans for us that didn't include italian cuisine.

She parked in the spot beside mine and I took a deep breath before getting out. The sound of her car door open and shut stood out as I walked around the front of my jeep. And I froze when I saw her.

Her dark hair was pulled back in a long braid. It was surprising because she seemed to always have it down. Almost like she was trying to hide from the world. Not tonight, apparently.

She was wearing a loose, dark blue dress that went to mid-thigh. I fucking loved when she wore dresses. A silver necklace was draped around her neck, and at the center hung the letter "K".

"Wow," I breathed. "You look beautiful."

Even though it was dark out here, I could still see the pink in her cheeks.

"Thank you. You look good, too, Nathan."

We both exchanged shy and awkward smiles before she cleared her throat and gestured to the restaurant.

"We going in? If we are then we better hurry. They close in like an hour." Frowning, she added. "Actually, why did you want to meet so late?"

My smile this time was pure confidence. I took her hand and led her to the passenger side of my jeep.

"Wow, look at you," she teased. "Holding the door open for me like a gentleman."

I shot her a wink. "I'm saving my A-game for you, gorgeous. Just you wait and see."

The drive to my special destination wasn't far. Just shy of twenty minutes. And Karma loved small talk.

"So where are you taking me? I thought we were going to dinner."

"It's a surprise, gorgeous. You just gotta wait."

I could sense her excitement. And her impatience. "And you're so sure I'm gonna like it? That's a little cocky, Nathan."

"Not cocky. I know you, Karma. And I can guarantee that you'll love it."

Just like when we got Mel's Hotdogs in Florida, I thought.

She laughed softly. "I hope so. I have high expectations for tonight."

"Oh, I don't doubt it," I said jokingly and turned into the parking lot. "I know it's all champagne and red carpets for you, gorgeous."