55| Just...More

Out of three-hundred-sixty-five days of the year, Christmas has always been my favorite day

I loved absolutely everything about it. 

I loved the lights and the music. I loved the natural cheer that was in the air. 

Picking out the ugliest Christmas tree with my dad and laughing while we tried and failed to make it look better. Baking sugar cookies shaped like reindeer with my mom while listening to Christmas music. And I even loved going to Lanie's on Christmas Eve to wrap presents all night because we always would get behind. Or sitting around the coffee table with Lanie's parents, trying to guess what we got each other while drinking hot chocolate. 

Hell, I even loved the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping—which was what me, Lanie, her mom, and Harper were doing this very second. Everyone was meeting at Lanie's house for Christmas tomorrow to stuff our faces and open presents. My parents included. 

The past few weeks have been utterly and completely amazing. Nathan and I have been getting closer. Although neither of us have said the big L word. There also hasn't been any more surprises from Trampy Trish or her brother. 

Okay, maybe there was still one issue. We still didn't know who tried to drug me at that Halloween party. Even though Nathan didn't bring it up around me anymore, I knew he was still trying to find out who did it. A few nights after it happened, when we were laying in his bed together, he admitted that he couldn't get the images out of his head about what could have happened to me if the mystery drugger managed to succeed with his plan.

There was such anguish in his voice when he said that. Anguish and a bone-chilling fear. There was no way he was giving up on finding out who it was. Ever. 

"What are you thinking about, Karma?" 

Lanie's voice caught my attention, forcing me to push my thoughts away. "Nothing, L." 

"Bullshit. You're stressing. I can tell." 

I frowned at her. "How can you possibly tell that when I'm just standing here looking for a gift for your brother."

"How can you even ask me that question with my reputation? I'm all knowing, and you know it." Lanie reached out in front of her. "What about a new wallet for him?"

I shook my head. "No. That's too...impersonal. I want to get him something special." 

With a shrug she came up beside me and leaned against the glass case that housed watches and jewelry. "Well, you did good with that necklace you got him. I'm sure you'll think of something."

"I got lucky with the necklace." 

Very lucky, actually. And I loved seeing it on him. I knew it was silly to even think it, but I felt like him wearing it was like a girl wearing an engagement ring. It didn't hurt that it finally kept those other girls from trying to talk to him.