28| Nate Jenkins: Famous Ladies Man

"You wanna get some cotton candy?"

I glanced over at the cotton candy stand Lanie gestured to. The line was pretty long, and knowing Lanie, she was going to ask me to go get it. Which was fine, really. I didn't mind. But was I in the mood for sugary snacks that were going to give me cavities? 

If it took my mind of off what happened the other night with Nathan, then the answer was hell yeah

"Sure, Lanie. Sounds good." 

"Here," she said and dug a few dollars out of her pocket. "Can you get it? Harper and I will save a place for you in line for the Ring of Death ride."

I cringed at the ride she mentioned. The Ring of Death was a ride where you sat in this cage like seat and it went in a loop over and over again, taking you upside down each time. It was just a circle that just kept repeating itself. 

Each time we've ridden it before, I've felt nauseated after. Was this time going to be the one time I officially throw up after riding it? God, I hoped not. And know that I knew what ride she planned to go on, I was having second thoughts about the cotton candy. 

"Sounds good," I muttered again. "What kind do you want?" 

Lanie looked to Harper who smiled when she shrugged. "Surprise us!"

"You got it." 

I had no idea what flavor I was going to pick, or what they offered, but I knew my best friends liked pretty much any flavor and would be happy with whatever I chose.

I took the money from Lanie and walked towards the cotton candy stand. We got here a few hours ago and it's been really fun so far. We've ridden rides, played a few games, and we even ate some funnel cake.

Well, Harper ate most of it. Lanie complained that it had too much fruit and not enough chocolate. I had a little and watched them with amusement as they bickered back and forth about games.

Lanie wanted to play the game where you try to throw a small white ball into a bowl to win a goldfish. It took a good ten minutes for Harper and I to talk her out of it. We gave her the whole "remember what happened last time you had a goldfish?" speech. Thankfully, a different game got her attention. 

Personally, I favored bumper cars. But every time I brought it up, the girls would complain that the line was too long. Which it usually was. In my opinion, bumper cars was worth it. There was something about it that just made me feel carefree and excited. Oh, well. Maybe another time. 

When I approached the cotton candy stand, I sighed at the line that had formed. This always happened. It happened that night at the bar. 

Don't think about that.

How could I not? Lately, my thoughts and dreams consisted of Nathan and only Nathan. Especially about the other night when he came through my window. That had been so unexpected; but everything about Nathan has been unexpected lately. 

Unexpected kindness. Unexpected comfort. Unexpected dancing. Unexpected feelings and kisses. Unexpected—

"Karma?" 

My spine stiffened at the sound of his voice. Knowing that he wouldn't leave unless I turned around, I faced him. "Nathan. What are you doing here? Did you follow me?"

Damn. He looked so good tonight. He was wearing dark denim jeans with a black Rise Against T-shirt and a backwards baseball hat.

Why couldn't he have worn anything that didn't make me drool over him.