16| All Thoughts Karma

I've lost my mind.

Some time, somehow, some way over the last few days, I've completely lost my mind. There was no other explanation for it. Why else would I suddenly be consumed by all thoughts Karma? She's always just been Lanie's best friend to me.

That was definitely not the case now. Which was why I must have lost my fucking mind.

Most of the day yesterday was spent doing this back and forth flirt dance thing with Karma on the beach. The four of us spent hours in the water. We hunted for sand dollars. Played Marco Polo. Then when I suggested that we do a chicken fight, Karma shut that down quickly. saying she was ready to go inside.

And she also avoided any and all attempts I made to dunk her. Hell, even just touching her seemed impossible. But that girl knew how to work it. Watching her take off that cover-up and bend over in front of me was a kind of torture I never knew existed.

It was easier when I was the one in control of the flirting—and when it was any other girl. But with Karma...

Karma complicated things.

While hiding in my room last night, I kept telling myself over and over again that I wasn't going to hang with the girls today. I wasn't going to go down to the beach and I wasn't going to see Karma.

Today was going to be about getting things back to normal. It was going to be spent with me keeping my eyes on other girls. Hitting on other girls and hooking up with other girls.

I also made a promise to myself last night that I would follow through on those things. Made myself repeat them over and over again until I was convinced that I was going to get it done.

Clearly I did a shit job sticking to that plan.

"Harp, did you take my sunscreen?" Lanie asked from beside me as she dug inside her tote bag. "I swear I put it in here last night."

"I don't have it. Sorry."

"I have it," Karma stated, pulling it from her bag. "Hope you don't mind that I borrowed it. I ran out of mine."

"No problem. Just let me know when you're done putting it on."

Goddammit. I really should have stuck to the plan of not being here right now, because I was right about one thing...Karma was way too good at tempting me. Too good at making me want things I shouldn't even be thinking about.

So when she stood up from her towel and reached for the bottom of her cover up, I clenched my teeth. She was wearing that bikini. The one that caught my attention when she flirted with those other guys that were here.

I didn't bother trying not to look this time. At least I remembered to put my sunglasses on when I came down here. Last thing I needed was Lanie and Harper to notice me watching Karma.

And fuck, did I watch.

She started with her legs first, propping her foot on the cooler and smoothing the sunscreen into her skin.

Did she have to do it that slowly?

After what felt like hours later, she started on the other leg. This one she did even more slowly. Taking her time smoothing the white lotion into the skin of her thigh. Then it was her stomach followed by her neck and chest.

I honestly tried to look away then. But apparently that was an impossibility. My eyes stayed glued to her fingers when she applied the sunscreen to her chest. When her hand stilled, my gaze met hers.

The heat that burned in Karma's eyes reminded me of that night at the club when I almost kissed her. If it hadn't been for my little sister who loved to show up at the wrong time then I would have kissed her.